Monday, September 05, 2011

Starting with the Sheep

So, here I am, back in Leeds, wondering what's that strange grey colour that the sky seems to be, and, as usual, protesting to the world that this isn't right, this is a different Daphne in a different world, and I prefer the holidaying one, and why has that one stopped?

Silverback has started a wonderful account of our travels during the past couple of weeks, with great photos, too.

I'm going to dart about a bit. I'm going to start with the sheep.

We travelled through a tunnel under the mountains from Bielsa in Spain to Aragnouet in the South of France.

The mountains were stunning and I kept saying to myself - - and to anyone who would listen - "We're in the Pyrenees!" because it sounded so exotic and foreign.

And then, high in the mountains, we rounded a bend and there was this:


A flock of sheep. And a helicopter. We stopped to have a look.

The sky was bright blue, with small white fluffy clouds and, from time to time, eagles soaring high above us. Some of the sheep were wearing bells round their necks that made a gentle clunking sound. It was very hot, even so high up, and the sheep were panting in the heat.

It was silent, apart from the sheep baaing and the bells clunking - - and then the helicopter would come sweeping in, with a very loud whirring of the blades, and take away a big container full of gravel.

It managed to alternate between being very peaceful and then rather exciting as the helicopter swooped in every few minutes.

We wandered about a bit, and took some photographs. It looked like this:

After a while, we turned round to look at the car, and found that it was now surrounded by sheep.

Their reasoning was not entirely logical, but clearly a deeply-held conviction.

"If my head is in the shade," they thought, "then the rest of me is in the shade too. And thus, I shall become cooler. And this will be a Good Thing."

Standing back a bit from our sheep-surrounded car, in the heat, with the blue skies, the baaing of the sheep and the clunking of the bells, this is what we could see:

I can't quite explain why, but for me, this was one of the key moments of our wonderful holiday. Glorious.

4 Comments:

Blogger Debby said...

I'm glad ewe haaaaaaaaad a good trip!

I love sheep.

10:00 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

Nice post Daphne.... please tell us more!

11:32 pm  
Blogger Helsie said...

It all sounds great... except the heat. Poor sheep !!
Cheers
Helen

6:15 am  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

Great post, Daph! I especially like that last photo. Exotic, yet simultaneously homey and comforting.

1:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home