Wednesday, September 15, 2010

From Up High


I love heights. When I was in Barcelona, a couple of years ago, I spent a lot of my trip there going up high. The cathedral roof. The cable car. The Sagrada Familia, where you can get a lift to part of the way up and then climb up inside one of the tall, thin towers which sway in the wind and are only slightly wider than you are. Wonderful. Scary but with terrific views and I loved it!


In Rome I loved the dome of St Peter's. In Siena I loved the Torre (or tower) there. In Bruges, this summer, up the tower we went and I loved it. (actually, for the best views I think Siena or Bruges take the prize). I love the Eiffel Tower. Hell, on a smaller scale, I even love the Blackpool Tower, which has a piece of perspex at the top to walk on, looking at the view below.

However. Here's a man whose job involves climbing up towers and working on the aerials at the top. The video lasts a while but is well worth watching. He can see 55 miles when he gets to the top!



I'm not going to do his job when I grow up, oh no. For various reasons. But watching this made me realise that I love being up high - - as long as you don't introduce the serious possibility of FALLING OFF.

9 Comments:

Anonymous maggi said...

I feel sick!

9:46 pm  
Anonymous Milo said...

Did you see Man on Wire when it was on TV? Absolutely fascinating doc about the Frenchman who walked between the 2 towers on a tightrope.

PS Just re-read the comments from my blog and you said you hadn't seen it. Do definitely catch it if it's repeated!

9:58 pm  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

Seriously? Are you serious? Really?

I lasted about 1:50 into the video. I couldn't take any more. The idea that people volunteer do this and even enjoy it does not compute in my brain.

I believe you have swum one lap too many. 8>}

11:02 pm  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

Okay, I worked up all my courage and came back determined to watch the video in its entirety even if it killed me, and now it is no longer available for viewing.

There is a God.

7:19 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

"This video is no longer available..."! I have been duped! I agree with you though - being on high in a human construction really does get the blood pumping. How audacious our species is!

9:55 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try here and enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRIbo7cvmQs
Lucy

6:38 pm  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

Uh-oh, now I will have to work up my courage again.

3:23 pm  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

False alarm! That one is no longer available either.

6:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No worries. Try here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDSKBeCKYVo
Lucy
verification: wabioniz = that wobbling motion of a high tower in a high wind

9:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home