Thursday, September 09, 2010

Burglar

So there I was, sitting at the computer as usual, when I heard the back door open quietly.

There are always lots of people coming and going in this house and at the time - late afternoon - there was Rob working in the office, Stephen, Gareth and Olli as well as me.

Of course, it could have been one of the actors arriving - - or a friend - - and if so, why didn't they call out?

So I shouted "HELLO?" in my sternest Schoolteacher Voice and went towards the back door and met a burglar coming in. He was in disguise of course - - just wearing an ordinary blue T-shirt instead of a stripy one, and he didn't have a bag marked SWAG over his shoulder - - but he was a burglar all right.

He was just turning to flee as I got there and he slammed the door and rushed off. I followed, of course (and what exactly WERE you going to do if you caught him, Daphne?) but by the time I'd got to the gate he'd run off.

Very strange, in broad daylight with five people in the house - not that he knew that, but there were two cars in the drive, which might have suggested that someone was in!

So we'll be keeping the door locked from now on. Wouldn't want any strange people getting in.

Ahhh yes, and here's a photo of Gareth peeling onions for tea - I just wandered into the kitchen and found him like this. The T-shirt says "We'll be safe in this dark and creepy barn."

Okay, here's a warning to any burglar. If you DO get into this house, I will shout at you in my Schoolteacher Voice. And you may also meet Gareth. Be very afraid.

10 Comments:

Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

I always lock my house when I'm inside it. People think I am a bit daft, but one can't be too careful...

8:13 pm  
Blogger Grumpy Old Ken said...

It's one hell of a feeling. Had it several times over the years, fortunately non lasting. a cheap lesson, methinks.

8:21 pm  
Blogger Jennytc said...

Oh dear, Daphne, what an unpleasant experience for you. Perhaps it's just as well you didn't catch up with him.

8:25 pm  
Anonymous Loadsamoney Jr. said...

I pop round for a cup of tea and a jaffa cake and what do I get ? A mad woman shouting at me and chasing me down the drive.

I was told it was a drop-in centre for reformed teleholics. You need to work on your communication skills, lady.

9:31 pm  
Anonymous Loadsamoney Jr. said...

I pop round for a cup of tea and a jaffa cake and what do I get ? A mad woman shouting at me and chasing me down the drive.

I was told it was a drop-in centre for reformed teleholics. You need to work on your communication skills, lady.

9:32 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pickpocket, burglar... I dread to think what's next in your eventful life, Daphne.
Ailsa

2:08 pm  
Anonymous Alison Runham said...

This reminds me of a work colleague who was sitting in her living room watching TV with her husband just after dinner.
She had left her nandbag out on the kitchen worktop. And by the time she walked back into the kitchen 30 minutes later, someone had scaled a 6ft fence, ran up her 70ft garden unseen (summer, so it was light) and whipped it. Unbelieveable.
(Not a new lurker - used to be called WriteousInd, but have now thrown off cloak of anonymity, LOL).

2:53 pm  
Blogger Kate said...

Gosh . What a thing! And you tell it so matter-of-factly, too. He must have been desperate. Did you call the police and give then a description?

9:13 pm  
Blogger Kate said...

... theM a description.

9:14 pm  
Blogger Daphne said...

Bob - you're quite right to do so and anyone who's ever been burgled will agree.
Ken - I totally agree - - a very strange feeling of being invaded!
Jennyta - yes, it's definitely a good thing that I didn't find him!
Loadsamoney - REFORMED teleholic? I don't think so!
Ailsa - good to hear from you! Yes, sometimes I think I'm a character in a soap and nobody's told me.
Alison - great to hear from you in your new cloakless identity - amazing story too!
Katherine - actually, I never rang the police at all, I was too busy marvelling at the whole incident! Perhaps I should in case he tries other houses locally - thank you for the reminder!

12:37 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home