Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Trucking

Following on Olli's splendid result last week - B.A. (Hons) 2:1 University of York, Archaeology - - Gareth also is to be congratulated today.

He is going to train as an HGV driver and today has passed the Theory Test, the Hazard Perception test and the Professional Competence test.

Now all he has to do is learn to drive a truck - - but I think he'll be fine with that!

And now I have an excuse to post one of my all-time favourites from that great show of the early Eighties - - Not the Nine O'Clock News.

Of course, Mel Smith, Rowan Atkinson and Griff Rhys-Jones have all had excellent careers and Pamela Stephenson is now a very well-known psychologist in America and is also married to Billy Connolly.

Not all comedy stands the test of time of course - - but I think this has!



On Friday morning we have Olli's graduation ceremony in York. I'm a bit nervous about it because I happened upon some graduating students at the University of Leeds the other day. All their parents looked frightfully grown-up and important and the mothers were all dressed up to the nines in Posh Frocks and Pearls.

Hey ho! Anyway, many congratulations to Olli and Gareth and I hope this is the start of great times to come for them.

5 Comments:

Blogger aerate harsh ladle said...

I love the rather saucy line "A ride for a ride!". It's my sense of humour, sorry!

9:23 pm  
Blogger Jennytc said...

I love 'Not the Nine 'Clock News'.
Congratulations to Ollie and Gareth and don't worry about the dress and pearls - start a new trend!

9:27 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry about the other parents, Daphne. From my personal experience, they will all be filled with an overwhelming sense of relief ... and will exude a strange calm (irrespective of what they are wearing).
I went to my son's graduation a couple of years ago. And even though us parents had to stand around for at least an hour afterwards, waiting for various groups of graduates to be posed for vast group photos, all the parents were more chilled out than I could have ever imagined.
Enjoy your day: sit back / stand back and bask is Olli's refelcted glory... because you should.
The only thing I would warn you about - that overwhelming, almost bursting, feeling of pride that makes you unsure whether you will laugh out loud or cry.
Lucy

P.S. And remember to be on the edge of your seat and soak in every second when Olli is on the platform... it can pass in the winking of an eye. (But with a bit of luck York will be selling CDs of the event in due course so you will be able relive that moment in years to come.)

8:36 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say 'Yaaay!' and well done. Hope you have a great time at the ceremony - blow everyone else, it's just a day for Olli and the people that care. Enjoy!

12:37 pm  
Blogger Grumpy Old Ken said...

Oh to be young and enthusiastic. Well done, son.

2:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home