Saturday, July 03, 2010

Holiday Reading

I have always been slightly embarrassed about my choice of holiday reading. For some reason, I don't seem to want to read jolly things on holiday. I've sometimes been lying on the beach and, instead of reading the latest bonkbuster or comic novel, oh no, there I am reading about the Japanese prisoner-of-war camps or such.

So this week I've brought Brendan Behan's Borstal Boy (it's about the time when the writer, best-known as an excellent Irish playwright, was in the IRA, caught in England and sent to Borstal in 1939). I have Gipsy Boy by Mikey Walsh, which several people have recommended to me, and The Great Silence, about the period immediately after the Great War.

It's not that I don't like books that have humour - I do, I love them. Just - - er - - not on holiday, generally. Why? Well, I can't tell you because I don't really know. When I'm feeling more relaxed than usual, I like more serious reading than usual. Something like that.

As a graduation present for Olli I gave him £50 to buy books to read in Tenby (Olli reads very fast and reads a lot). Here's what he bought:

I think he got good value - the Sherlock Holmes book is the complete series of Sherlock Holmes novels. I think you could say it's an interesting mix! ,

So tonight we're in beautiful Tenby, and I've swum in the pool and been for quite a long walk this evening, and it's been a lovely sunny day.

And now, back to poor Brendan in his gloomy jail before I settle down to sleep.

2 Comments:

Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

DAPHNE - The reason you like books that challenge you when you are on holiday, with time to really concentrate on your reading, is simply that you are an intellectual - not an airhead - so don't puzzle about it or half-apologise.

12:32 am  
Anonymous Shooting Parrots said...

Bad Science should be recommended reading for all, but especially journos who think they understand statistics. Doubly especially those who write for the Daily Mail, 'the International Journal of Health Scares.'

As for your own choice of reading, there is nothing wrong with that selection. Rule of thumb is to take two to three times as many books as you think you can get through on holiday!

4:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home