Sunday, June 27, 2010

Frustrating Day

For the past seven or eight months, I have been doing the agency's monthly accounts, since our accounts person left.

It's not rocket science but it does need a lot of accuracy and the ability to do Sums - - and both of these are skills that I have - coughs modestly - got.

The accounts have always been done on paper, with a pencil, but that had gradually come to seem a bit Dickensian so for the past three months I've been doing them on a spreadsheet.

So far so good. All working well. Until today when I opened the document and found that it only went up to 14 June.

It took me a while to work this out - - for a while I thought "how can I have forgotten to enter this Emmerdale payment?" or whatever. But finally I worked out that all accounting life stopped at 14 June, and that it is now 27 June, and that I have done a lot of accounts since then.

Of course the first thing I did was to ask Stephen what could have happened - - and he looked for the document in the backup file and it wasn't there. Mysteriously absent. And this system is run by Stephen, who is Top Geek and knows about running computer systems.

I HATE COMPUTERS WHEN THIS KIND OF THING HAPPENS!

Of course, I can redo the accounts, just about, from the invoices and the bank statements but the tediousness of this is - - - well, just unbelievably tedious. But I'm going on holiday (to Tenby, hurrah!) next Saturday and I wanted to get the accounts all shiny and completely updated before I go.

And, until Stephen works out why it's happened - which I hope will be tomorrow evening - I don't know that it won't happen again so I'm not going to spend all tomorrow typing it up again in case it vanishes!

In other news, as they say, I rang my mother, currently staying with her friend Amy in Barrow-in-Furness, and reminded her that she needs to catch the 3.25 train back to Leeds tomorrow.

She had no clue that she is supposed to be coming back tomorrow. She thought she was coming back on Wednesday. Surely her appointment for her hearing aids is on Thursday?

"No, Mum, you wanted to move it to Thursday but they couldn't move it. They said if you didn't come on Tuesday it would be another six weeks."

"So I've got to come back on Tuesday?"

"No. You've got to come back tomorrow."

"Tomorrow? But I thought it was Wednesday that I'm coming back! I don't want to come back yet!"

I felt like the cruellest woman in the world. She's been swimming in the sea, of course, and was hoping to do exactly that again tomorrow. But on the other hand, she's setting great store by these new hearing aids and I know she wants to get them as soon as possible.

It's been a frustrating day in many ways. Think I'll go to bed now.

6 Comments:

Blogger Debby said...

Man oh man what a day! Hope you have sweet dreams...you deserve it!

I hope Super Stephen can fix it all up.

11:56 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

Hang on just a minute young lady! You didn't even mention England losing to Germany in the World Cup! Compared with that everything else is irrelevant.

12:20 am  
Anonymous Ruth said...

Ctrl s as you go. Hope Stephen can work his magic

12:35 am  
Blogger Jennytc said...

Being a maths (and accounts) phobic, I can well understand your frustration at what has happened, Daphne, and YOU know what you are doing! :)
I understand too about your mum. Getting old and not always 'firing on all cylinders' has to be one of the more frustrating things in life, for those looking on as well as for the person concerned. I see signs of impatience in myself when my dad sometimes states the obvious or repeats a conversation we've had before and I know that much of the impatience stems from the fear of old age and what it inevitably brings, for himself and also, eventually, for me.

7:06 am  
Blogger Kate said...

Love your 'Mum' stories... I can feel the love....and the frustration!

9:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But did you ever find the missing data? That's what some of us are hanging on to find out.
Lucy

10:35 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home