Saturday, May 01, 2010

Summing Up

I've had a day of Sums. I am trying to do the agency's monthly accounts before next Sunday's meeting.

In between bursts of Sums I have been sorting and cleaning a very large heap of clothes (not mine) which has been - with wit and considerable accuracy - christened Mount Washmore (again, not by me). I promised I wouldn't show you a photograph, though I'm sorely tempted.

The accounts used to be, until fairly recently, kept in a green A4 file and neatly written in pencil. It was all a bit Dickensian, but it worked.

Now they're on a spreadsheet on a computer and we have bounced into the twentieth century only about ten years too late.

I may perhaps be too old for this kind of thing. When the spreadsheet adds it up I feel the desire to check it with a calculator. And after that I feel the desire to check that with a pencil and a piece of paper.

All this technology is all very well but it doesn't really cater for the idiosyncrasies of how the agency works.

So one of our actors had a cash-flow problem (as often happens with actors as THEY often don't get paid on time) and so couldn't pay her Spotlight subscription in time. So I paid it over the phone on the agency's credit card.

But it didn't work because seconds before, the credit card company had cancelled the card, because somebody had tried to commit fraud with it.

So soon afterwards, Spotlight rang me to say the payment hadn't gone through. So the quickest thing to do was to pay it on my own credit card and then claim it back when some money for the actor came in.

And this week the money for the actor came in, and now I'm trying to find a way of explaining all that in our accounts. So I have a section called "Notes" at the end. I think it will be quite a big section by the end of the year, as this kind of thing happens quite often.

And I keep finding myself, in between doing the Sums, trying to count items of washing for no good reason at all.

It's not so bad with the T-shirts but if I ever get started on the socks it will take me the rest of the weekend. I have done two full loads of socks alone, with several other loads decorated with a side order of socks as well.

Mayday! Mayday! I am submerged in socks and sums.

Ohhh. It IS May Day. Happy May, everyone.

3 Comments:

Anonymous ruth said...

Happy May Day to you too and welcome to the 21st century. That's a nice juxtaposition given how long celebrating May day has been going.

By the way, a good way not to build up a mountain of socks to wash is own fewer pairs of socks. Not just you of course but the population of Leeds (and York?) who seem to expect you to to do their washing. How do you explain the laundry business side line in the agency accounts?

7:37 pm  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

Some people count socks and T-shirts. I count the silverware and plates as they come out of the dishwasher. Odd, as I never count them going in. So I do not know whether they are increasing or decreasing as a result of being washed mechanically. Socks are a different story, of course; everyone knows washing machines eat socks for breakfast.

My verification word is "myxess" --

9:25 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

By the sound of it Daphne - it really is time for a swim.

12:19 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home