Sunday, March 21, 2010

Some Honest Answers

I haven't seen one of these meme thingies for a while - Jennyta found this one in The Independent newspaper and put her answers on her blog, and I thought I'd have a go. But I'm going to give you my first answers, rather than the carefully-considered ones that I'm tempted to give, so they may be a bit brutally honest, we'll see.

My parents were - - - rather eccentric, great campaigners and a long way ahead of their time, in some ways. My mother still is, in many ways, though the Communist died in December 2008.

The house I grew up in - - - is the house where I live now, though there have been others before we moved back here in 1999.

When I was a child I wanted to be - - - a vet. But then the grammar school I went to didn't have a biology teacher. It was a rather stuffy girls' school and I think they thought that biology was a bit rude.

If I could change one thing about myself - - - I would be more confident.

You wouldn't know it but I'm very good at - - - speaking to people - audiences small or large - about something I care about and think I know about. Yes, it doesn't seem to go with the previous one, does it?

You may not know it but I'm no good at - - parties or similar kind of occasions. Actually you may well know it, I go on about it enough!

At night I dream of - - the voices of lost children calling out to me. A bit melodramatic, I know, but sadly true, again and again and again.

What I see when I look in the mirror - - - oh, I try hard not to, because I am always surprised when I don't look eighteen any more.

My favourite outfit - - - HAHAHAHAHA! Jeans and a T-shirt. Occasionally, in the summer, a long skirt. But I think "outfit" is taking it a bit too far.

My house is - - - Victorian, large, welcoming - I hope - and always needs more attention than I have time to give it.

My favourite work of art is - - - usually a landscape with a breath of fresh air in it. But sometimes a portrait too where the person seems to come to life.

A book that changed me - - - The Countryside Companion, a very old book from the Twenties owned by my parents when I was a child. It made me realise how much, even at a very young age, I loved being out in the countryside or at the seaside.

Movie heaven - - - Recently I really enjoyed Avatar. I want to see more films, because I still don't see enough.

The last album I downloaded - - - oh, don't be silly, I've only just given up on gramophone records. But I do have an MP3 player now! I don't listen to music enough, really.

My greatest regret - - - I don't think I tend to regret things I have done, more things that I haven't done. I regret not travelling more in my youth but there were good reasons why I didn't. So I want to travel more now.

My real-life villain - - - Fred Goodwin, of course, that seriously wicked man who's getting a pension of nearly three hundred and fifty grand a year for wrecking the Royal Bank of Scotland. And we're letting him keep his title "Sir"? (Not that I'm going to use it, you notice). When I'm in charge he'll be living on basic state pension on the worst estate that I can find. Boo! Hiss!

The person who really makes me laugh is - - - Silverback. Quick-witted and great comic timing, in person as well as in writing.

The last time I cried - - - well, I can't remember. But I well up with tears quite easily. Probably most days, in fact. It's not always because I'm sad, though.

My five-year plan - - - to enjoy my work, as indeed I do now, but to spend more time travelling and to try to relax a bit more.

What's the point? - - - I don't actually believe that there is one. I believe - though sometimes wish that I didn't - that we're here by accident. But my values - I hope - are what are commonly called Christian values, even though I'm not a Christian. I think we should be kind and caring to each other, just because it's right - - - and also because we should want to be!

My life in six words - - - Six words are not enough to

3 Comments:

Blogger Silverback said...

Interesting and informative. Two words that don't describe this blog post !

Only kidding, now that I have a reputation of witty banter and ribald humour to uphold ! In my usual understated and self depreciating way, I feel you've lowered that particular bar so low that I'm in danger of tripping over it.

I don't 'do' meme thingies as I'm way too secretive so you'll never know my innermost secrets - unless you tempt me with jaffa cakes, you naughty woman.

5:16 pm  
Blogger Jennytc said...

That was realy interesting, Daphne, Silverback - I challenge you to do it!

7:05 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

Six words are not enough to what?

2:11 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home