Saturday, February 20, 2010

Goodbye British Gas

Apparently British Gas have put their prices down and they want me to go back to them from my current supplier. "Could you tell me who that is, please?" asked the woman who rang me.

"No," I said, "and how did you get my mobile number? If you want to send me some information - because clearly you have every detail of my life - kindly send it to me by post. And now I'll have to go because I'm busy."

Indeed I was busy, and I didn't want to speak to them then. And I haven't really wanted to speak to them ever since.

But since then - - and it was at least a week ago - they have rung me three or four times a day, always from the same 0800 number.

The mobile rings twice, and when I don't immediately answer, they ring off. The first time they called, I happened to be holding my mobile in my hand and so could answer it.

But every time since, it has been in my bag or somewhere where it might take three rings to get to it.

But they don't give it as many as three rings, and they don't leave a message. They just ring back a few hours later, and let it ring twice again.

So far I haven't bothered searching for how I can complain about this - if you happen to know, do tell. But I'm hoping that, pretty soon, I will manage to get to the phone in time to answer. And then the person on the other end of the phone will get anger, biting sarcasm and finally - if they're still on the line - the story of how British Gas once took twenty-one visits to sort out the central heating system and managed to introduce dry rot into the house along the way.

Goodbye, British Gas. No, I won't be going back.

5 Comments:

Blogger Silverback said...

I'd have said it was a computer doing cold calls but if the one time you got to answer and got a 'human' immediately, then that can't be the case.
Yes like you, I'd be desperate to speak to them and get several choice words off my chest as what they're doing is almost harassment of a telephonic nature !

5:14 pm  
Anonymous Helen said...

You might find this link of use!! It may not stop British Gas specifically, but has some good advice:

http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/

5:46 pm  
Anonymous Milo said...

Do not get me started on British Gas! I had to permanently turn my home answering machine off because there were endless (usually blank) messages coming from them. The few times I work from home (even now) you can guarantee if the phone rings during the day, it will be them. And they're pushy so and sos.

I don't think I would go back to British Gas on principle, they are the worst utility (I've experienced) for sheer bloody mindedness.

5:53 pm  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

I read Helen's link to tps. Here in the U.S., calls from charities and political candidates are exempt from the "Do Not Call" registry, so count yourself fortunate to have the option of tps.

6:19 pm  
Blogger WendyCarole said...

They have hassled me several times recently too

7:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home