Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Time for the Scarf

Yes, yes, seen it all before. All over the internet. All over the news. Apparently the street where I live even made it onto the BBC Breakfast News this morning.

No, not this street: this is the side road, glimpsed from our bedroom window. But the front street was on the national news, I'm told. Just to show people what WHITE looks like.

Anyway, SNOW. Yes, lots and lots of it today. It just carried on snowing, almost like a proper winter. Olli and Gareth have never seen anything like it. Mind you, they're young, you know: they think Dr Who is David Tennant.

But, of course, he's not. Not any more, and actually, the real Dr Who was always Tom Baker. And in Tom Baker's incarnation of Dr Who, which lasted from 1974 - 1981, he wore a really, really long scarf.

He set a trend. Everyone wanted one, including me. So I knitted my own, but I didn't bother with stripes. I relied instead on subtle colouring and a natural sense of style.

So, since we haven't had much of a proper winter for years and years, and now we have got one with snow and ice and lots of British stoicism, I thought it was time to bring out The Scarf.

And here it is, being modelled for you by my lucky husband Stephen who was thrilled to have the opportunity to adopt this glamorous pose by the kitchen cupboard.

I did offer him the chance to wear The Scarf whilst cycling to work tomorrow but for some reason he turned me down.

In case you want to make your own - and I'm sure you will - here is the recipe or whatever you call it with knitting:

1) Buy lots of wool
2) Cast on lots of stitches
3) Knit one, purl one until you run out of wool, or until someone tells you that it's July.
4) Cast off. Make tasselly things for the ends. No, I can't remember how - do I have to tell you everything? I'm sure it's on t'interclacker somewhere. We never had t'interclacker in t'Seventies, you know. We had to rely on runic writing scratched in the earth with a stick.

There's no need to thank me. If you've enjoyed this small glimpse into the superior world of Seventies culture, then that is satisfaction enough for me.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Milo said...

Wow! That really is the mother of all scarves! I love really big scarves and they seem to be back in fashion again!

11:33 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought Dr Who was William Hartnell - when did he cease to be The Doctor?

Lucy

11:48 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

re. Dr Who - who the hell is Tom Baker? For me, as for Lucy Anonymous, Dr Who will always be William Hartnell with his ghastly Daleks that gave young lads who hid behind setees troublesome nightmares. I remember watching the very first episode.... In years to come when the sea has reached Leeds, people will say "Do you remember the winter of 09/10?"

12:02 am  
Blogger Kate said...

Daphne, I LOVE your scarf recipe!
And I was behind the setee too.

1:53 am  
Blogger Jennytc said...

William Hartnell was when he was practising. Tom Baker was the real thing.

9:09 am  
Blogger WendyCarole said...

its a wonderful scarf. I liked Tom Baker too

6:45 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, the very first episode of Dr Who - it was like welcome to the future, coming after an afternoon of rugby league and wrestling.

Suddenly things seemed brighter - even though it was all in black and white.

11:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home