Saturday, December 26, 2009

No Calorie Unattempted

Yesterday, food-wise, was much like many people's I suppose. After warming up on an introductory round of porridge, I went for the gold medal in the Eating Like a Pig stakes at lunchtime, with turkey and what is usually described as "all the trimmings".

Of course, being diabetic, I couldn't possibly permit myself to eat Christmas pudding with brandy sauce - - but that is exactly what I did.

Something in me thinks that I get a few days off being diabetic at Christmas, at least until the bottle of Baileys is finished. I haven't drunk more than two glasses of it a day, though, and at least I haven't drunk any other alcohol, and I won't.

I've been having a very stressful time in many ways recently, and Stressed-Out Emotional Daphne thinks - entirely mistakenly - that if I eat things that are bad for me, this will help. Logical-Brain-Daphne (stop it! I can hear you laughing at the very idea that such a person exists) explains to Stressed-Out Emotional Daphne that a piece of Christmas cake, or a chunk of Christmas pudding is really not a good idea. It could be the thin end of the wedge. Today, a piece of Christmas pudding, tomorrow a whole box of Quality Street.

Stressed-Out Emotional Daphne listens carefully to the other Daphne's advice - - and then says "Yeah, I know. Can I have a bit more brandy sauce?"

It's not that I don't like all the things that are good for me. I love fruit, I love salad, and I like almost all vegetables.

So here's my lunch today after yesterday's Troughing Marathon:

Turkey salad with a bit of cranberry sauce. I love salad. Delicious, and healthy too. Looks pretty, as well, doesn't it?

"Great," said Logical-Brain Daphne, "that's a good start. Stop eating now, you've had plenty over the past couple of days and certainly you've had too much sweet stuff."

"Yes, but of course salad counts as negative calories," said Stressed-Out and Emotional Daphne. "And I will stop. Just as soon as I've finished off this last piece of Christmas pud. And I see there's a bit of sauce left too. Pity to waste it."

I'm going swimming as soon as the pool opens again. I think I'd better increase my target swim from seventy lengths to something like the width of the Pacific Ocean, to work this lot off.

4 Comments:

Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:37 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

The condition you are developing is known as schizophrenia. This should be invaluable when conducting NHS roleplays as you will be able to play two parts at once. Do you photograph all your meals?

6:38 pm  
Blogger Daphne said...

YP - we both agree that playing two parts at once is a good idea, as it should surely double our pay. Of course I photograph all my meals - doesn't everyone?

6:42 pm  
Blogger Jennytc said...

It's probably an age thing but I find I can't overdo the eating at all these days, and certainly have to go easy on rich food. Unfortunately, this does not have the expected effect on my waistline. :(

8:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home