Tuesday, June 02, 2009

From Brad to Brid

I've nothing against Bradford, but you really wouldn't want to drive there first thing in the morning. Actually, thinking about it, I've got quite a few things against Bradford, the chief of which is that it's in a dip, and that dip is always full of traffic.

I had to be there at half past nine for a roleplay - quite a "heavy" roleplay with a lot of emotional content, so I was gearing myself up for it as I drove through the centre of Leeds and onto the M621 and the M62 and the M606 and through the traffic-filled streets of Bradford and into the car park of the health centre and out of it again as there was nowhere to park and into it again as I'd spotted someone pulling out of a car parking space.

When I got to the room, I was surprised to find the other roleplayer who plays this role already there. She was equally surprised to see me.

We each produced a list with our own name on it, and today's date. Hers was later than mine, so I think I'd been moved from this date but didn't know.

It's strange how you can gear yourself up to do a job - even a job that you enjoy, and I love doing this work - and then when you're suddenly let off, you're like a child let out of school early. Yippee!

So I went to see my friend David for a little while, to discuss a play. And then I heard from Silverback, who had found he didn't have to stay in today to await a delivery, and so he was going to have lunch at the excellent Wellington pub and was then going to go out in the sunshine. And he kindly invited me to go with him, since I suddenly had some free time, and our office was in capable hands for the day.

So we had lunch and wondered where to go to - - and he suggested Bridlington, on the East Coast, which was, I must say, a brilliant idea. It took under two hours to get there from Leeds, and it was a lovely drive too, with the countryside at its Spring best.

It was a gorgeous day, and I had a lovely time: thank you, Silverback.

So, morning on the grimy mean streets of Bradford: afternoon on the broad beaches of Bridlington.

I love the unexpected, when it's good.

8 Comments:

Blogger Debby said...

What an awesome day! Hopefully a chance to catch your breath!

12:48 am  
Blogger Tempewytch said...

What a brilliant day! I'm sorry the morning got mucked about but the rest of the day sounds wonderful (I can't remember the last time I got to Bridlington! It must be 20+ years ago now)

10:51 am  
Blogger WendyCarole said...

Your afternoon sounded lovely I was stuck here in... Bradford. No matter where you go here you go up or down a hill LOL

1:32 pm  
Blogger mutikonka said...

I'm hoping to visit Brid and the East Riding (do they still use that term?) on my mini holiday back in Yorkshire next week. Hope to revisit the sites of my childhood spent camping in places like Withernsea and Burton Constable. If the weather holds out.

2:32 pm  
Blogger Jennytc said...

Yes, I agree, driving in Bradford is no picnic. They also apparently hold the title of top spot for having your vehicle rammed in a staged accident for insurance scams.

7:15 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

It's like you were playing truant! Lovely Brid! Tourism slogans for Brid?
"Brid is for Lovers"
"Brid - The Cannes of The North"
"Brid - Where all your dreams come true!"
"Brid - No West Riding chavs allowed!"

7:44 pm  
Blogger David said...

I lived in Bradford in the Nineties, I hated it so much I moved to New Zealand !
The only parts of it I loved were the Photographic Museum & Little Germany,which had escaped the planners who built that souless concrete town centre.

8:51 pm  
Blogger Daphne said...

Debby: Yes, it was fantastic and just what I needed.
Tempewytch: It was well over forty years since I was last there! Well worth a return visit.
WendyCarole - thank you for visiting my blog. And you're so right about Bradford and its hills.
Michael - welcome back to Yorkshire and I hope you'll have a great time, and that the sun shines. And I still use the term "East Riding" - I don't know if it's official though, but I don't care!
Jenny - yes, I hate driving in Bradford. Too many lanes! Too much traffic!
YP - yes, it did feel like playing truant! We added West Riding class and sophistication to Bridlington. They'll probably give us the freedom of the town if we go back.
David - they seem to be knocking a lot of the concrete down now, and not before time.

9:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home