Sunday, May 31, 2009

Strange Bird

Our garden's full of birds, lots of different kinds. But here's a strange creature that I saw on the bird table today:

Yes, a four-legged one. A rat, in fact.

The old saying is that you're never more than a few feet away from a rat - - I can't remember how far it's supposed to be but ten feet sticks in my mind. And on this evidence, it's probably true.

Of course, there's always lots of bird food about in the garden so I don't think Ratty can be blamed for taking advantage of it and I shan't be trying to poison him unless he sets foot in the house, in which case he'll have me to reckon with.

Rats don't get a very good press. They are considered to be dirty, of course - and of course, many of them are, especially the ones that live in sewers. I think as well that there's something about their long, naked tails that people really don't like, though it's hard to pin down exactly what it is.

But I think they're quite interesting creatures really - more intelligent than many animals. They just provoke that knee-jerk "ewwwwwwwww" reaction in a lot of people.

Strange that I should see him today, in a way. On Friday I saw and enjoyed the animated film Ratatouille (very good fun and I did like the animated Paris - just like the real thing!) I haven't seen a real rat for years, and then suddenly, there he was.

I took the first photo through the closed kitchen window and when I opened the window to get a better look, Ratty made his excuses and left, though with no great haste, I must say.

I do like all the wildlife that pops up in the garden - - hedgehogs, foxes - - and I don't mind Ratty either, just as long as he stays outside.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jennytc said...

It's strange but, although I am quite happy with mice, gerbils, hamsters and the like, I am less keen on rats. For me I think it's the yellow teeth rather than the tails.

7:48 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

The Communist will be turning in his grave when he realises that such a nasty creature should be feeding from the bird table he designed exclusively for our feathered friends! Hey Ratty! It is not a rat table!

9:19 pm  
Blogger Tempewytch said...

I can cope with all types of mice but rats I am a little more chary of! But all in all a good couple of photos

9:20 pm  
Blogger Debby said...

I'll stick to the animated rats!

3:17 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My son has had pet rats for a long time, and he and his fiancee currently have 2. I really look forward to rat sitting when they go on holiday. They are very good pets, if treated properly, affectionate,intelligent and with definite personalities. I didn't think I'd like them, but have become a "rat fan" (Thanks Roland)
Christine

8:10 am  
Blogger Bernard said...

In this neck of the woods as a result of halving the frequency of bin collections.....they have doubled the amount of rats!!!
Good old eu directives again.

9:48 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home