Friday, December 26, 2008

Things I Liked About America No.5 - Trucks

In Britain they're lorries, with flat fronts and they drive about two inches behind you on the motorway.

In America, however, trucks are big and cool and shiny. Every time we saw one, which was often, I thought "Hey, I'm in AMERICA!"

Here's another - - there were hundreds, but hard to photograph, as I generally saw them when we were on the move!


So, in celebration, let's have a listen to one of my favourite television songs of all time. It's from Not the Nine O'clock News, satire show of the late seventies, and features a young Rowan Atkinson, Mel Smith and Griff Rhys Jones. The young woman is now Dr Pamela Connolly, then Pamela Stephenson, a superb comedy actress: now a well-known psychologist and married to Billy Connolly (though if she knows so much about psychology, you'd think she'd have a less annoying website, wouldn't you?)

Anyway, when I first saw this video I thought it was a little masterpiece: and actually, I still do. Particularly appropriate, too, because you see that rocket at the beginning? That's at the Kennedy Space Centre! And I was there less than a month ago! Wooohooo!

All together now - - SING! and I wish you all a very happy Boxing Day.

2 Comments:

Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

Trucks!!??! Are you serious??? I suppose you are, although most visitors to our shores like things like the Grand Canyon and Mount Rushmore and the Mall of America. De gustibus non disputandum est....

And a happy Boxing Day to you!

1:58 pm  
Blogger Grumpy Old Ken said...

Loved your little film. We parked our motorhome on the lorry park at Immingham, us and around seventy lorries. Grat. Mind you, have you ever been to Immingham!!!

11:48 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home