Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas Day

There seems to be a bit of a vogue at the moment for stuffing things into things and then eating them, rather like the Inuit do when they stuff a dead seal with seagulls, bury it, then dig it up and eat it some time later, raw. Yum!

So I've heard a lot of people saying that they were going to have an emu stuffed with a turkey stuffed with a grouse stuffed with a sparrow. Or something like that.

Here on Franks Mountain, we stuck to turkey. Though it was rather huge - almost 20lbs. Because, if you leave buying your turkey to Christmas Eve, like I did, there is a choice between tiny ones or massive ones. A massive one is, of course, much better value, and we all like turkey, so 20lbs it was.

I got up at half past six to do battle with it:

and it went in the oven at ten to seven, with bacon on top and onion inside.

Then we opened the presents, which we all enjoyed, particularly Wendy the kitten:

and we got the table ready: (that computer in the corner is where I write this blog)

Then, about five hours later, the turkey came out like this:

And we all ate far too much of everything:

Yes, it all looks much the same from year to year, Christmas in our house.

But this year, of course, it's different. We've all had a good time. But the Communist, my Dad, wasn't with us today, because he died on December 8th.

I said in my post yesterday that this house is full of the ghosts of Christmas past.

Here he is, two years ago, just finishing his Christmas dinner. He loved Christmas dinner, and he loved having his photo taken.



6 Comments:

Blogger Jennytc said...

Merry Christmas, Daphne. Keep your Dad in your heart, as always.

3:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Communist looks like he has got your 20lb turkey in his tummy. He also looks deliciously happy - just like I want to remember him.

Lots of love to you and all of your family. I haven't had anything stuffed today and yet I still am stuffed - hooray for chocolate!

3:33 pm  
Blogger Grumpy Old Ken said...

Sorry to hear about your dad. I too have a beard like your dad, our turkey was also just under twenty pounds. The only thing is, there's only two of us for dinner. How many of you?
ps Do you remembber Arnold Wesker. He visited us at college for a weekend. Walked around with his jacket over his shoulder. A right poser.

3:57 pm  
Blogger Daphne said...

Thank you, folks! And, Ken, I certainly remember Arnold Wesker - my favourite play of his was Chips with Everything. Shame about the jacket over the shoulder, though. Another illusion shattered!

6:23 pm  
Blogger Debby said...

Hope your Christmas was merry. Your dinner looked fabulous. I was trying to morph myself into it....sighhhh it didn't work!

3:20 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you had an enjoyable day. I can imagine it would have been poignant. One of my mum's friends was over for boxing day (middle aged lady) and she lost her father earlier this year and they were all with us last Christmas, too, as are close friends of my mum. So it was very poignant for her too and she was very subdued which normally is unlike her.

Hope the rest of the festive period is relaxing.

11:25 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home