Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Loooong Day

Some days seem longer than others and today has been a loooooong one.

It started with a meeting at 9am at Leeds University about some roleplay that I'm doing on 10th December. Will I still be able to do medical roleplay whilst jetlagged? I think Leeds is about to find out.

(If you've never read this blog before, or have somehow blotted my forthcoming trip from your mind, I am going to just mention, very quickly, that I am going to Florida on Friday.)

After the meeting I had not enough time to go home again, before setting off to Bradford for a roleplay there this afternoon.

So I wandered through a couple of department stores in Leeds.

I haven't given any thought at all to Christmas yet so was surprised to hear Slade's Merry Christmas Everybody and be immediately transported back to Leeds Grammar School Christmas Discotheque in 1973.

I found some new slippers, and then had to stand in the long queue to pay for them. I listened with mounting lack of interest as the assistant asked every customer whether they'd like to get ten percent off their shopping today by opening a storecard, and then followed it up by asking if they'd like to buy one of these cuddly teddies or dogs.

So when I got there I greeted her with "I'd like to buy these slippers please, and I don't want to get ten percent off my shopping today by opening a storecard, and neither do I want to buy any of these cuddly toys."

She looked at me as though I was completely insane. Surely, though, for every customer who opens a storecard or buys a cuddly toy, there must be three more who think "I'm never going back there?"

The checkout was next to the women's nightwear section and I found myself idly wondering why women's nightwear comes in three distinct categories:

1) Red Light District Special
2) Cute Slogan - - - "Goodnight Sleep Tight" and that kind of thing
3) Very Very Old Lady Who Likes Winceyette and Florals

(No, I'm not telling you which I bought, if any).

So off I went to Bradford, where the roleplay went well, and then my satnav was as confused by the centre of Bradford as I am, and insisted that I turn my car left up an alleyway about an inch wide. I ignored the satnav's advice, invented my own way back and arrived home after only an hour or so in nose-to-tail traffic in the dark and drizzle.

Yorkshire, I still love you. But not on evenings like this.

1 Comments:

Blogger Debby said...

You will need the slippers for FL. I hope you bought the 'long to the floor old lady flannel nightie'. It's cold here. We have no heat!!! I don't even want to discuss the toilet seat!

3:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home