Sunday, April 13, 2008

But Now Are Found - - well, partly - - -

Emily and Gareth were eventually told by staff at Tampere Airport that one of their bags was in Manchester and the other was lost.

Half an hour later the one that was in Manchester turned up at their cottage in Finland, presumably having travelled at warp factor six in some kind of space shuttle.

This made Emily and Gareth considerably happier because most of their clothes were in there: though Emily's jumpers and specially warm coat were in the other one, along with her archaeology text books and the adaptors to charge up their mobiles in Finland. However, I would think that Finland is a good place to buy a new warm coat.

The lost bag remains lost, though I hope it may yet turn up.

Now usually, if anything goes wrong for one of my loved ones, I can sort it through good communication skills (I teach communication skills for goodness' sake!) sheer determination, and a refusal to give in; and Emily retains a touching belief in my ability to sort things out, no matter how tricky. I hated not being able to.

I think the thing that got to me the most in all of this was the feeling of powerlessness. Phone numbers hard to find: very difficult to get through: put on hold for ages: unhelpful people when I did get through.

Usually if I can speak to someone I can get somewhere, but not in this instance. I think the only thing that my incessant pestering did was draw it to their attention: by the time I'd finished people in Helsinki were going up to each other in the street and saying "Hey, have you heard about that honeymoon couple who've lost all their luggage?"

Okay, lots of bags get lost every day: it's just that Emily and Gareth weren't used to this and it was, after all, the beginning of their honeymoon.

Thanks to all my friends and readers (some are both!) who have been so helpful to me whilst this was going on.

3 Comments:

Blogger Diz said...

And a huge thank you for you, Daphne, for all the help and support you gave them. I agree, I felt so totally helpless, too, with less ability to communicate.
They seem all grown up and responsible at times, but still call for mum in a disaster!

11:11 pm  
Blogger Debby said...

When good things happen I always give a hearty 'wooohoooo' this is half a good thing for sure so I give a hearty 'woooo'! Hopefully the 'hoooo' will follow!

1:32 am  
Blogger Honey said...

Good news about the half bag. You sound a lot cheerier so I'm hoping that the newly weds are too and beginning to enjoy their time.
x

6:29 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home