Saturday, April 12, 2008

Sad

Emily and Gareth set off on a slightly belated honeymoon today, to Finland. They've been looking forward to it for ages, and are staying in a lovely log cabin by a lake.

They flew from Manchester to Helsinki and then took another plane to Tampere, and hired a car there to drive to the log cabin.

But it all went horribly wrong at Tampere because all their luggage had remained in Helsinki.

The staff at Tampere airport promised that it would be on the next flight from Helsinki to Tampere - apparently there hadn't been enough time to load it on the plane, though I don't know why not. The staff promised it would be delivered to the log cabin by tonight, "It may be as late as midnight!" said the assistant, laughing.

The staff said that they would ring Emily and Gareth when the plane arrived from Helsinki.

They didn't ring, perhaps because they couldn't work out how to ring a British mobile, or perhaps because they didn't bother.

Midnight in Finland came and went and the luggage didn't arrive: and still hadn't, when I last spoke to Gareth at about half past midnight Finnish time, which is two hours ahead of ours.

So they have no clean clothes, or towels, or shampoo, or any of the other things that have to go in the hold now because of sodding terrorists.

Exhausted, upset and feeling very let down, Emily and Gareth couldn't go to bed in case the luggage arrived. I tried to ring every possible number at every airport involved and they were all closed for the night.

Oh look, I hear you say, it's not a matter of life and death, is it? It can all be sorted out in the morning.

And I hope it will be.

But it was the first day of their honeymoon, and it was horrible and incredibly stressful.

And I can't bear it. It has filled me with such terrible sadness on their behalf. I just can't bear it. I know that it has allowed a whole well of sadness to rise up in me - about the Communist's illness, about him being in the nursing home and wanting to come home all the time when he'll never be able to, about the fact that it's costing £2,300 every four weeks and that my mother's terrified she'll not be able to pay her bills.

But this seems like the last straw. Emily and Gareth had a wonderful wedding and I so wanted their honeymoon to be wonderful too.

I hope it'll all be better in the morning.

3 Comments:

Blogger Debby said...

I hope your sleep brings you renewed optimism. I shall wish wonderful dreams on you this evening.

It's not a platitude to say that E & G will look at this years from now and laugh. You know they will. They are young and tired and when they wake up in that gorgeous cabin by the lake it will be a new day.

The weight of the world tends to be overbearing sometimes, especially for a mother, a daughter, a wife. We try to fix everything and when we can't, well it's just not right!

Hugs to you.

1:59 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to read about that. You're a very positive person but like everone, it's human nature to occasionally feel it's all a bit too much!

They have had very bad luck especially for their honeymoon. Same happened to a guy at work and his partner (wasn't honeymoon) but even so. We got a phone call at the OFFICE from someone in a random country saying they had our colleague's bag!!! So he's had a week's holiday with with his partner with no luggage and both of their stuff was in one bag.

Sorry to hear about the cost of care for your father, also. It must be hard.

All I can say is the attitude I keep trying to force myself to adopt these days is 'glass half full' or 'glass half empty'. I think for you it's just a tiny blip of half-empty as 9 times out of 10 you definitely have a glass half full attitude which I know will bounce right back. E&G will definitely look back and laugh and tell their own children about the adventure! And the communist is happier and more settled now (you'd said it was touch and go at one point I think) so that's also positive.

Hoping you're feeling brighter today.

7:44 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope by the end of today Emily and Gareth will either have been reunited with their luggage or will have found some happiness in being in an amazing place without the things most of us think we really need but actually can try to make do without. For you, I send a huge hug and hope the sadness lifts. I am thinking of you as always.

10:34 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home