Saturday, April 12, 2008

Still Lost

I think we all thought it would be better in the morning, and thanks to all of you who left comments.

But it isn't.

Finnair have lost both Emily and Gareth's cases. One is completely lost. The other one might be in Manchester. Or it might be in Helsinki. Quite why that makes it less lost than the other one, I don't know.

As it's the weekend it's impossible to get any sense out of any of the numbers that we've tracked down - most of them simply aren't answering.

Emily and Gareth therefore drove to Tampere Airport to try to talk to Finnair - but there's nobody at the desk. It's the weekend. It's closed.

Their phone chargers are in the suitcase, so pretty soon they won't be able to talk to us either.

So they're heading into Tampere - with an upset Gareth driving a strange car on the wrong side of the road, which worries me - and I've suggested they should get some food and buy some clothes. But, of course, they haven't a lot of money with them and Gareth has a card but that hasn't a lot of available money on it either. Staying in a log cabin, this was supposed to be a fairly cheap holiday - the only expensive bit was the flights.

They feel like coming straight home but there aren't any flights today and anyway they couldn't afford to pay for them.

There doesn't seem to be anyone who can help.

There is one number for Finnair that occasionally answers and he says "All you can do is wait." They are not offering any other help at all.

Stephen works for a Finnish/Swedish company and says that the Finns are renowned for their clipped delivery, which sounds very abrupt and rude to British ears: apparently they are sometimes sent on training courses to teach them how to sound more polite to foreigners. I've been really conscious of it today: I said to Gareth that the man sounds very matter-of-fact and he said that the problem is that there aren't any actual facts. Where is our luggage? Dunno.

Emily hasn't been abroad very much: she's only been to France several times (by boat) and Amsterdam several times (by plane). I was hoping that this trip, to a country known for being "civilised" - hah! - would be a total joy for both of them throughout.

Instead, they're having an incredibly stressful time, and I'm so worried about them.

4 Comments:

Blogger Debby said...

Very distressing indeed. I had hoped over hope it would be all better. I'm so sorry they're having these problems!

3:41 pm  
Blogger Debby said...

Sighhh I'm still waiting for the 'They once were lost, but now are found' post! Still hoping for the best, if there can be a best at this stage!

3:34 pm  
Blogger Honey said...

I hope they manage to reap some fun out of the stay. I'm so sorry it's been so stressful and that you are left powerless to help how horribly frustrating.
I wish them luck in getting the bags back soonest with lots of compensation and apologies. Not that it makes up for it, but when BA lost our bags we got a hefty allowence per person per day they were lost, and we ended up buying some nice things to make up. Not much help right now I know.
I hope you have good news soon.

8:09 pm  
Blogger Jennytc said...

Oh dear, I hope this will soon be sorted out so that it doesn't ruin the whole holiday for them.

9:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home