Tuesday, March 18, 2008

I'm Sorry, Dave, I Can't Do That

I was shocked to learn just now that Arthur C. Clarke, writer of the book that was made by Stanley Kubrick into the film 2001: A Space Odyssey has died today. I know he was ninety, but it was still a shock.

Some films seem more than films: they seem to creep into your consciousness and become part of you, and that's how I feel about this one. It doesn't seem like a film that I saw, more like a remembered experience with Hal the calm, creepy computer "I'm sorry, Dave, I can't do that" and the Strauss waltzes.

It must be fifteen years since I saw the film - perhaps twenty - but it's a film that I won't forget.

1 Comments:

Blogger Silverback said...

Oh great - finally a film we've both seen and I have to learn about it on t'interclacker.

And just to be pedantic, the quote is "I'm sorry Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that"

Another quote is "The 9000 series is the most reliable computer ever made. No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error."

If only this Toshiba was as good !!

11:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home