Saturday, October 27, 2007

Succumbing

Oh, all right then, I gave in and joined Facebook.

If you haven't seen it, this is what happens: You join it, which is easy, and fill in your profile page so everyone can laugh at your choice of music and wonder why you liked that particular film and see how generally uncool you are.

Then you look up a couple of your friends on it, and ask them to be your friend, just like you did when you were eight. And, unless they've hated you all along, they agree, and their photos now pop up on your page, and then you can look at their friends, and their friends look at you and think hey, I know her, I'll ask her to be my friend.

Eventually you end up with a respectable number of friends. Anything over three is respectable. Anything over 300 shows you're a saddo who spends your whole time lurching drunkenly up to people in clubs and asking if they'll be your friend on Facebook.

And you can put lots of other things on it as well. You can write things on people's Walls. You can poke them. You can send them messages. You can send them free virtual gifts. You can put up pictures. You can update your "status" - ie, say what you're doing at the moment.

And what is the point of all this? - - Oh, I expect there'll be people doing PHDs in it soon - - but hey, it's fun, and I don't have enough fun at the moment, so hurrah for it.

So you can look me up if you join and mock my taste in everything, but I don't mind if you do. And if you don't know my surname - well, frankly, my dear, I've given you enough clues for you to be able to work it out.

3 Comments:

Blogger MrsG said...

Hi Daphne,

I think I found you...

Amy x (now obviously not my real name...)

10:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a love/hate relationship with facebook. I'm genuinely grateful to it for allowing me to hook up with old friends, but the number of people who end up adding you who you DON'T actually want to stay in touch with is quite scary. Sure, you can decline, but I'm too polite... a weakness, I know.

12:24 am  
Blogger Silverback said...

Hey you, Daphne person, yes you.

Thought I'd forget, didn't you ?

You still owe me 5 shillings for that Mama's & Papa's single in 1968.

Of course that's £12,325 in todays money so send a cheque or I'll send the lads round to climb your Wall and poke you.

P.S. Will you be my friend ???

Ian

4:01 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home