Sunday, October 07, 2007

Boobed

I've been watching Louis Theroux talking to people before and after plastic surgery.

(In this post the word "watching" can also be taken to mean "eyes tightly closed and hands in front of my eyes". As long as we're clear.)

The language of it all is strange to me: "I'm just positioning the nipple" and "These breasts are Playboy-perfect".

And indeed they were. But they were - to me - and admittedly women's breasts don't float my boat - characterless, unsexy breasts, like over-inflated balloons.

A woman with a Streisand-like attractive quirkiness had a nose job and then looked like any other blandly attractive girl: she had lost all her individuality.

"There aren't many guys of fifty look this good" said a guy of fifty with strange, Schwarzenegger - like implants where his chest used to be. The implants were slightly too far apart and looked very odd. He had his arms done too and acquired strange lumps where muscles used to be.

And the faces! Those strange, smooth, expressionless faces. Young faces with taut skin are lovely. Older faces with taut skin look like older faces with taut skin. You can tell their owner isn't as young as he or she was, and you can tell they regret this - but plastic surgery doesn't make them look twenty-five again.

Of course there's a place for it, when people are disfigured by birth or accident, or do look so strange that it really is causing them problems. But these people who have "procedure" - as they call it - after procedure in a bid for perfection - - oh, no.

If you find a person attractive, then you do, and if you don't, you don't. I can't imagine finding anyone - of either sex - more attractive because they'd had plastic surgery. I can't imagine liking anyone to any greater extent because they'd had plastic surgery. In fact, d'you know what, I think the opposite is true. I like to see a bit of someone's history when I talk to them.

It wasn't mentioned on the programme that there's a risk to your life every time you have a general anaesthetic, but there is a risk, albeit a small one. If you're ill and need an operation to save your life, then that is worth the risk. The last time I had a general anaesthetic they cut my stomach open and out came Emily. That too, of course, was worth the risk.

But a "brow lift" to make your eyes look wider? Oh, for goodness' sake.

2 Comments:

Blogger MrsG said...

Ohmygod but how scary was Eve the 'lifestyle makeover' critter?! And the poor thing who was actually PAYING her to say those awful things about her... Honey, if you have just had $Bajillion worth of plastic surgery (on the advice of a woman whose lips don't move when she talks) and you are STILL crying there is definitely something wrong. If I were to be paying someone $2,000 a day to be near me, it would be to hear that I am wonderful and have no flaws whatsoever as I sit and stuff my face with cheesecake. Or something...

12:25 pm  
Blogger Daphne said...

Totally agree with you: I think Eve was made out of plastic, it certainly looked that way.

7:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home