Sunday, October 21, 2007

Bolton Abbey (Part Two)

So, see previous post, the path to the Strid is now a Sculpture Trail. Though, in places, the labels are more obvious than the sculptures.


It was said to me once, most entertainingly, that sculpture is the stuff you bump into when you're trying to look at the paintings. Okay, I don't entirely agree, but I like sculpture to be in a sculpture park or other suitably man-made environment. I think wild countryside should look wild. And although Bolton Abbey and Strid Wood are part of the Duke of Devonshire's Estate and therefore paths are maintained and other management done, I think man's input should be as unobtrusive as possible.

And, to be frank, I'd prefer the tree stump without the wicker dog. And the slightly dimpled paving stones, above, don't do a lot for me either. In a different environment, I'd be more interested in them. But in this natural environment, I like my sculpture to be done by Nature.

Here's Nature doing a pretty good job of sculpting some stones in the River Wharfe.


And, right at the top of this post, I think "Dead Tree in Landscape" is a particularly fine piece of sculpture.

One or two of the sculptures have been removed as they've been vandalised, which I think is sad. But actually, I wish they were somewhere else.

3 Comments:

Blogger mutikonka said...

Quite agree - I think the Romans had the right idea about sculpture - keep it in the built environment. Great pictures of the Strid, I miss the autumn colours.

6:21 am  
Blogger beth said...

I think a Sculpture Park/Garden is a fine idea, but the Bolton Abbey environment isn't either of those, it doesn't really need 'added interest' does it!?

Where do you stand on Andy Goldsworthy? I like the idea of coming across things that might be art or might be nature.

(But if needs a big sign explaining it, it isn't really working)

9:51 pm  
Blogger Daphne said...

Thank you, Michael - glad you liked the pictures.
I like Andy Goldsworthy, Beth - but you're right, I wouldn't if there was a great big sign next to it saying THIS IS IMPORTANT SCULPTURE!
Thank you both for your comments.

10:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home