Wednesday, September 12, 2007

A Slight Change in Tone

I've just discovered that I know someone who knows someone who knows them. It's a small world like that.

But, other than that, I've nothing new to say, of course, because I know no more than you do. It's one of those cases where there's so much rumour and hearsay going on that it's hard to make any sense of it at all.

A while back I wrote that I didn't think the parents should have left their children on their own - no matter how near they were - while they ate out with friends. And I still think that was really wrong. And when I saw an interview with Kate McCann where she said that they'd had hundreds of letters of support saying "we do that all the time - you were really unlucky" I thought she'd really missed the point. All the people who do it all the time are really wrong too.

Now the tone of the media coverage has changed ever so slightly. Whereas before it was tragic Gerry and Kate, and endless sympathy for poor, fragile, photogenic Kate clutching Madeleine's Cuddle Cat everywhere she went, they are now hinting at darker things which they don't quite state.

When the papers say that both parents deny having given Madeleine a sedative, and that the parents said they'd only drunk a couple of bottles of wine but the restaurant bill showed that they'd bought far more, and that the young twins Sean and Amelie slept through the whole thing including the panic when Kate discovered that Madeleine was missing, what they want to write is this:

Ooh, what if the McCanns drugged all three of their children so they could go out with their friends, because they're doctors and would have access to sedatives: and what if they accidentally gave Madeleine an overdose and found her dead: and what if that was why the twins slept through it all? And what if the parents hid Madeleine's body and disposed of it later, using their hire car?

At the moment the newspapers, having previously totally bought into the McCann's story, and the visit to the Pope, and the posters everywhere, aren't sure which way to jump. But the slight change in tone, the slight distancing, suggests to me that they might be about to change completely. If it ever does appear to be proved - because appear is as much as we're ever likely to find out - that the McCanns were involved in Madeleine's death - then the press will vilify them as the next Moors Murderers. For two reasons: the press don't like feeling they've been taken for a ride: and also, let's face it, that would sell a lot of papers too.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A couple of bottles of wine? Or more? Between two people? Blimey, the other night I was hammered having drunk just a couple of those large glasses of wine you get nowadays but then I guess I'm just a lightweight and I don't have young children to look after.

8:07 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The International Centre for Missing and Exploited Children (www.icmec.org) alone currently lists more than 2600 missing children. One of them is Madeleine McCann. Did anyone see the news about the others? I must have been watching the other channel. But the Pope must be really busy, meeting all those parents.

9:40 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's all gonna sell papers. Mebbe some loony in the press planted evidence- I wouldn't be surprised in this crazy ole world.

1:03 pm  
Blogger MrsG said...

I don't know what to think...I just keep thinking of all those other kids that are missing, who might not be as beautiful or blonde, or maybe they are, but they don't get the same attention...I just can't get my head around it though - how could they cover up something like that and still look the Pope in the eye?

2:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home