Friday, May 04, 2007

The Facts of Life

Walking through the University today, I found myself in a crowd of students and, as we waited to go through a doorway and bunched up together, I overheard two female students talking in front of me.

"I think I'd better go to the doctor," said one. "I've got this funny feeling low down below my stomach - it's like a buzzing, or a fluttering feeling. It doesn't happen all the time, just from time to time, but it's really strange."

"That's odd," said the other one, "Have you any other symptoms?"

"Well, yes," said the first girl, "my periods have stopped. In fact I haven't had a period for weeks."

"Er, hey," said the second girl, rather tentatively, "Um - - is there any chance that you could be - er - pregnant?"

The first girl stopped in her tracks.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" she said, not in an "I couldn't possibly be pregnant" way, but in pure, clean, unadulterated astonishment that such a thing might be the case.

Then they turned off down a corridor and I saw them no more. Amazing.

1 Comments:

Blogger Honey said...

My doctor asked me if there was any chance I could be pregnant the other day. I looked her right in the eye and said very firmly, NONE. I'm married with two kids and so this seemed to be hilariously funny to her, she laughed solidly for about five minutes. At first it was funny too, then wierd, then kind of insulting.. and then basically funny again. So we bothe ended up with tears in our eyes. Ahhh marital bliss. (She's married with four kids).

10:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home