Monday, April 30, 2007

Beyond Reasonable Excuse

We're just back from a wonderful weekend in the Furness Peninsula in Cumbria.

More of that later - but meanwhile, on the way back we stopped in Kirkby Lonsdale to have a walk and a look at the river.
The River Lune is very deep just there and there are two bridges: here's the view from Devil's Bridge of the other bridge (and I don't know what the other bridge's name is).


On Devil's Bridge there is this rather unusual notice:



Do they have a list of Reasonable Excuses, I wonder?

"I was a bit pissed and wanted to know how deep it was" - no, forget it, mate, that's a fine not exceeding Level 2 on the Standard Scale for you, sonny.

"I leaned over the railing and dropped my glasses and didn't want to lose them" - well, a teensy bit Reasonable, but probably not Reasonable Enough.

I think these notices should be clearer and less couched in councilspeak.

THIS RIVER'S VERY DEEP AND FLOWS VERY FAST.

IF YOU THINK IT'S NOT AND IT DOESN'T YOU'RE ENTITLED TO YOUR OPINION BUT YOU'RE WRONG.

IF YOU JUMP IN YOU WILL MOST LIKELY DROWN. DON'T SAY WE DIDN'T WARN YOU.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home