Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Walking to Work

My usual walk to work consists of coming down the stairs, turning right and then first left into the office.
But from time to time, working with medical students, I travel all over Yorkshire and very occasionally further afield.
Today I was working all day at St James's Hospital, which is about three miles from where I live. It was a long day with a fairly early start - I had to be there by twenty past eight this morning.
So, how to get there? Drive? The parking there is really difficult. Bus? - - Well, it would be a bus and then a walk, or two buses and I couldn't be bothered. Taxi? - - Well, possibly, but after a bit of thought I decided to walk, because I knew I was going to sit around all day in air-conditioned rooms.
Like a fool I told my mother this. She was immediately terrified. Firstly it would involve walking through the woods, where I would undoubtedly be murdered by a Lone Axeman, and then it would involve walking through Harehills, which is a densely-populated part of Leeds where there was in fact a fatal shooting just a few days ago.
So I told her I would get a taxi - the technical term for this is a Lie - and then set off at about quarter past seven to walk, because there's something in me that clings to the belief that Leeds is a rather large, safe village.
And, although it was drizzling a bit, the woods were beautiful.

Harehills was rather less beautiful, but I still enjoyed the walk.



The streets were very empty of people - I don't know if this was because of the shooting or - probably more likely - because it was quite early in the morning.

I arrived a trifle damp from the rain, and rather warm and red-faced, but the walk did make me feel better for the rest of the air-conditioned day.

If I had come to any harm on the way, no doubt some people would have said how stupid I was to do it. But I don't want to live like that. And I know I've been fortunate in that I've never had any serious trouble in Leeds. I did get flashed at once or twice when I was a student, but I have to say I never felt seriously threatened - perhaps I was naive, but my attitude was more "Ooh - - so what?"

Not sure if I'm right, or if I'm just as green as the new leaves on the trees.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're technically right - YOU don't get trouble. No-one who's around you gets trouble either. When I last went to town with you I wasn't attacked once.
Maybe it's because they know you taught in secondary schools??
If some chav tried to stab you, his crappy flick-knife would melt with one look.
You must teach me your talent.

10:56 pm  
Blogger MrsG said...

I used to walk to work (near the bus station in town) from my house (in Chapel Allerton). It was about 3 miles, all downhill, and a lovely way to start the day! I know what you mean about thinking of Leeds as just a big village, always felt pretty safe to me!

9:18 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

totally agree....never taught daughter stranger-danger, just wild-boar-and-snake-danger. Much more likely. Especially living in foreign mountains.

8:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home