Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Castle Colours

Here are some colours that I like:

Blues and greys and sandy reds and grey-greens. This is part of the wall of Piel Castle on Piel Island off the Furness Peninsula in Cumbria. Of course, it's a small island - only twenty acres - and hence the castle gets a lot of hammer from the weather. Sandstone being very soft anyway, it's wearing away fairly fast. But I love the colours of the rock and the lichens.

William Wordsworth was in Barrow once, having a look at Piel Island, and wrote the following oeuvre (and I'm having problems with the spacing so haven't set it out like a poem, though William did)

I was thy neighbour once, thou rugged Pile!/Four summer weeks I dwelt in sight of thee:/I saw thee every day: and all the while/Thy Form was sleeping on a glassy sea:/
So pure the sky, so quiet was the air!/So like, so very like. was day to day!/Whene'er I looked, thy Image still was there:/It trembled, but it never passed away.

Not as good as Daffodils, methinks, but I did like thinking that William enjoyed the view that I enjoyed so much on Sunday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home