Thursday, April 19, 2007

The Monkey and the Owl

I often see things that aren't there, as I have mentioned before. Usually buildings that have been knocked down. I don't see them for long, but as I round the corner where the building used to be, I have a clear vision of it, just for a couple of seconds, before I realise it's gone. The vision's like a photograph - every detail's there.

Even so, it was a bit of a shock to come out of the bathroom late at night and to see a small black monkey sitting on the landing, looking at me.

It took an eternity - well, several seconds, but it felt like an eternity - to tell myself that there could not be a monkey on the landing: it had to be something else: what could it be? Eventually it turned into a pile of black socks, with a blue one just showing in the middle which had formed the monkey's eye. Why my mind formed this pile into a monkey I know not.

On a slightly similar theme - that of what was my mind thinking of? - I dreamed last night that I was watching television, and the programme, whatever it was, finished, and the next thing on Channel 5, which was the channel I happened to be watching, was one of those trashy, overdone, shock-seeking documentaries.

It was called When Good Owls Go Bad and the title sequence involved an owl sitting quietly on a branch and then flying ferociously towards the camera, glaring with an evil glare and hooting spookily. At which point I turned the television off, and woke up.

Now, I know there are programmes with somewhat similar titles to that one, but I have never watched them and I really don't know where I got it from. Inside our heads is a strange place.

1 Comments:

Blogger Silverback said...

1) You really must go back to normal mushrooms, Daphne.

2) I KNEW I saw you on tonight's "Sleep Clinic"

3) Leaving a piles of socks on the landing late at night is asking for all sorts of trouble.....and if one of them is blue, well that's just a drug induced dream waiting to happen !!

2:12 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home