Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Things the French Really Say

When I was at school, I was taught that the traditional French caricature of the English has all Englishmen in bowler hats and carrying umbrellas, walking through a foggy London while their fat children stuff their faces with sweets.

Well, the bowler hats and umbrellas and fog have mostly gone - - there’s some truth in the rest, I fear.

Of course, my view of the stereotypical Frenchman has him in a check shirt and beret, with a moustache, out in the countryside. And I did indeed see a few men like this during our stay in Burgundy, no doubt planted by the local tourist board “You are to lean on that wall from 9am to 5pm with two hours for lunch”.

But during this holiday I have heard the French say things that I thought they only said in 1960s school text books. I have heard the following:

“Formidable!” (the rolled R in the middle lasts for about ten seconds)

“Zut alors!”

“Mon Dieu! Mon Dieu!”

“Désolé, madame” (roughly translates as “I am desolate”)

Emily has been saying “Désolé” for years, usually in very cheery tones to mean “I haven’t done it and what’s more I can’t be bothered”.

- Emily, have you finished the washing-up?
- Désolé!

But I was rather surprised to hear a real live Frenchman say it, meaning “sorry I can’t help”.

What we did not encounter at all, not even in Paris, was French rudeness, which the English are so prone to going on about. Even the ticket collector on the train was charm itself. Everyone we met has been really friendly. Hurrah for entente cordiale.

1 Comments:

Blogger Silverback said...

J'adore le cordiale............je me souviens que j'ai aimé la framboise quand j'étais un enfant.

Forrrmidable et zut alors !!!!!!

2:04 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home