Thursday, April 05, 2007

Ancient History

There’s lots of ancient history around here in rural France, from the prehistoric to the Roman. I discovered my very own piece of it lurking on the wall in our friend Graham’s house in Burgundy. Here it is:

Graham worked as a radio presenter and producer before taking early retirement and moving out to Burgundy. But in the mid-seventies – 1975 or possibly 1976 – he belonged to Swarthmore Studio Group, an amateur drama workshop group founded by our friend -still our friend of course - David Robertson and which then occupied much of my free time. And although none of the original people is involved, the group still meets once a week.

And in 1975 – or possibly 1976 – the group put on these two Victorian melodramas – Graham played the Beast in Beauty and the Beast and William in Black Eye’d Susan, I remember. My parents will have been involved in some capacity too, and so will I – probably stage-managing because that was what I enjoyed most.

Strange to find a poster that I haven’t seen for thirty years, here in France, and for it to look so immediately familiar.

While we’re here, my brain seems to be trying to make sense of my own ancient history. I’m having lovely times during the days – Paris was wonderful, more about that soon - but terrible dreams at night. Still, they tell you what you’re worrying about, which in my case seems to be just about everything.

Last night, I had been forced through financial necessity to go back to full-time teaching at the worst school in Leeds. Even that was preferable to the death and destruction that was happening to my family and friends on previous nights. There’s something about holidays that worries me, and always has done.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You wore a mobcap, your father was a villain in a top hat and cape, your Mum was a delightful country yokel. I have photographic proof.

11:40 pm  
Blogger Silverback said...

Puts a new slant on the phrase.....a dream holiday !!

2:03 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home