Monday, March 26, 2007

Commuting

I've been working in Sheffield a bit recently, helping to assess future GPs, and very interesting work it is too.

Sheffield is thirtysomething miles from Leeds straight down the M1.

From Leeds it's not too bad by today's standards - bit of a tailback approaching Sheffield and a further one at Junction 34 by Meadowhall shopping centre (no, I've never been there, I hate shopping centres).

But if you're trying to get from Sheffield to Leeds the traffic tails back every morning to - - yes, Sheffield! It's not a one-off, I've travelled the opposite way lots of times, and Sheffield to Leeds is one big slow-moving traffic jam.

And some people are in it every morning and I don't know - I really don't know - how they stand it. Years ago I heard a play on Radio Four which centred around the whole of the motorway being gridlocked by sheer volume of traffic.

Only I don't think it was a play, it was a documentary set in the near future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home