Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Accidental Art Again

I love this bike, which has been languishing in the garden of the Last Hippy House In Leeds for quite a while, as you can probably tell. I took the photo yesterday, in a brief burst of spring sunshine between deluges.

I'm trying to work out why I like the bike so much. Some of it's because of the colours: the rust and the fresh green of the ivy and the brownish stonework - they are beautiful together. I love all greens anyway - green is my favourite colour and I am ceaselessly mocked for this by my cruel family. ("I suppose you'll be wanting to paint the living-room green and get a green carpet and green furniture, will you?")

Also, there's something about the newness of the ivy and the oldness of the bike that I like. I like old machinery, working or not. And I like new plant growth. Anything I write after this is getting into highly suspicious out-of-her-depth art criticism and will sound totally pretentious, so I'll stop now and I hope you like the photo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home