Sunday, May 21, 2006

Molehills not Mountains

Here are some moles who live near Wetherby.

This is where they had been recently, anyway. How many? We don't know, but since moles only get together in the spring I reckon this whole field of molehills is the aftermath of a mole orgy. All over the field under the ground there were moles groaning in embarrassment as they recalled who they'd slept with the night before. "Oh no - - Tracey! Or was it Sheila? Thing is, it was dark so I wasn't quite sure - - "

We don't know much about moles - we know they eat earthworms and haven't got very good eyesight and tunnel about under the ground composing dark poetry about eternal blackness - sorry, I'm going all anthropomorphic again. Kenneth Grahame started it in The Wind in the Willows with Ratty and Moley and Mr Toad - still excellent I'm pleased to say.

But how, for example, do they find each other? Do they shout? Tap coded messages on their tunnel walls? Have annual arrangements to all meet by the river in Wetherby on the second Sunday in May? I have never seen a mole in the wild - the closest I have come to seeing one was seeing a molehill with earth shooting out of the top, like a little volcano. I was rather thrilled.

Of course, if you want a formal garden (and I don't) then moles are a Bad Thing and the Royal Horticultural Society is full of advice as to how to get rid of them, using words like "symptoms" and "infested".

All right, if you have one of those immaculate, stripy lawns then I can see molehills might be a bit of a problem. Our lawn is infested with daisies and clover and I'm happy for it to stay that way. And if any moles move in, they'll be welcome.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw a mole close up once. It was at the Glastonbury festival 1994. It was Sunday morning, about 5am and I was, well, lets just say a little worse for wear. I was sitting on my own, smoking and watching the sun rise when the earth at my feet began to move. Given that it was Glastonbury, Sunday and 5am, you can imagine that i didnt, for one moment believe my eyes. But sure enough, the ground continued to move - small fistfuls of earth shot into the air - and eventually a mole stuck its head out of the hole and looked me in the eye. I dont think it saw me, being blind an all. but i definitely saw it. or at least i think i did....

9:10 pm  
Blogger John said...

they work out who they are and where they are, and indeed who they are there with, by smell I believe.

You can find out the mole's part in the History of England here

11:42 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home