Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Cake

Look, bear with me, will you? My daughter Emily's just got married to the lovely Gareth and I'm Dead Proud. Eventually I'll stop going on about it but meanwhile I'm going to show you the cake.

My cousin Dorothy made the cake for our wedding in 1980 (yes, I was a child bride, thank you, since you ask) and since it was excellent, it seemed only sensible to ask her to make the cake for Emily and Gareth's wedding.

I reminded her of the excellence of the 1980 cake which was square, three tiers supported by pillars, very traditional and very handsome. "I've learned a bit about cakes since then," she said. She runs her own cake-making business in Barrow-in-Furness, and when Barrow got a new lifeboat station she made a perfect replica of it, in cake, for the Grand Opening.

We told her that the colour scheme for the wedding was red and black and cream. We sent her photos of the clothes that Emily and Gareth would be wearing. Gareth drew her a sketch of how he envisaged the cake.

Here it is, in the dining-room at Park Hotel before the wedding:

And here is a close-up of Emily and Gareth on top of the cake:

There'll be some photos of the Happy Couple soon but I must say the cake figures are spot-on.

The bottom tier was fruit cake. The middle tier was chocolate cake. The top tier was sponge cake.

Fantastic, eh?

"Aren't your relatives lovely?" asked Stephen.

Yes, as a matter of fact, they are.

3 Comments:

Blogger MrsG said...

Will you look at that!!! What a gorgeous cake (what gorgeous cake-people!).
The Dude's aunt made the cake for my wedding. I was highly sceptical - I wanted chocolate but it 'wasn't traditional' (we won't go into that) so I has a similar fruit/sponge combo....It was beautiful, after all my worrying.

9:13 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh that is very nice indeed!

5:26 pm  
Blogger Jennytc said...

Fantastic! I won't show Keith, he'll just start pestering you to send him one! ;)

7:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home