Sunday, May 19, 2013

From Music Teacher to Magic Fairy Dust Practitioner

My friend is a music teacher.  She's put in a lot of effort over the years.  She started to play the violin, age seven and practised every day throughout her childhood and adolescence. She did a degree at the Royal Northern College of Music and then she toured with some of the country's most famous orchestras, such as the Halle.

Eventually she trained as a teacher (a year's course, the Postgraduate Certificate of Education) and has been travelling round schools teaching the violin ever since.

From the above I hope that you can understand that she had all the proper qualifications to call herself a music teacher.  She teaches the violin - - sometimes to small groups of children, sometimes to a class of thirty-five, with an assistant to help her.

She needs an assistant to help the children because really the violin is quite a tricky instrument.  Somewhat harder than the triangle, or even the recorder.

It costs me to admit this cruel fact because actually I'm a pretty damned good recorder player.  My violin skills, however, are nil.

On a recorder, provided you cover the correct holes and don't blow too hard (and, admittedly, some people find this difficult, at least at first), your recorder will produce the note you're aiming for.

However, it's a bit different on the violin - you have to press your fingers down in exactly the right place to make the note, and the only way to learn how to do that is to practice.  Lots and lots and lots.

But now, the education authority that my friend works for is planning some changes.  She will no longer be known as a music teacher.  Oh no.  She will be a Music Practitioner.

So - - - what's the difference, I hear you ask?

Where else have we heard the term "practitioner"?  Well, I associate it with those kind of Complementary Health practices.  Homoeopathy, where you dilute things down to nothingness and give them to people and the placebo effect kicks in and makes them feel better.  Indian Head Massage, where you rub someone's head and they find it relaxing and the placebo effect kicks in and makes them feel better.  Reiki, where you kind of wave your hands over people and channel some mysterious energy and the placebo effect kicks in and makes them feel better.  Aromatherapy, where you make the place smell nice and the placebo effect kicks in and makes them feel better.  Sprinkling Magic Fairy Dust - - - and so on.

No, you guessed, I'm not a big follower of complementary medicine and for some of these things you have to train for how long? - ooooh, it can be as much as a few weeks! - - to get a certificate saying you're qualified.

But hey, what, therefore, is the difference between a Music Teacher and a Music Practitioner?

A Music Practitioner can stand in front of a class of thirty-five children playing the violin without an assistant!  Amazing!  And why is this? - - - Oh - - because a Music Practitioner, not being a teacher, doesn't need an assistant, because a Music Practitioner is not actually going to teach, they are going to MAKE MUSIC TOGETHER and who cares what the hell it sounds like.

Oh yes, and by the way, a Music Practitioner is paid about a third less than a Music Teacher.

NOW we understand.


11 Comments:

Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

Perhaps I am misjudging you but I think I detected a note of cynicism towards the end of this post - just a whiff, a zephyr, a smidgeon - but I would swear there was a little cynicism there. Mind you, I am a mere blogging practitioner so what do I know?

5:37 pm  
Blogger Jennytc said...

Ah yes, it all boils down to your final point, Daphne, and also maybe to the fact that the politicians don't rate subjects which are not English, Maths and Science!

7:45 pm  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

We have here in the medical profession in the U.S. a position called Nurse Practitioner. I believe it is the highest position a nurse can attain. In rural areas an NP can even prescribe medication, something only an MD is allowed to do elsewhere. We also have something called a PA (Physician's Assistant), which sound rather like a Plumber's Helper, but a PA can perform surgery.

How do they come up with these misleading and arbitrary titles?

9:12 pm  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

Daphne, I do hope all is well there with you and with your mum. Your sudden and continuing silence causes me concern. Please know that you are missed out here in the blogosphere and we wish only the best for you.

This particular post first appeared on Mrs. RWP's and my 50th wedding anniversary.


2:45 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Excellent Blog! I have been impressed by your thoughts and the way you put these info in this post.
advertising | top advertising agencies in Pakistan | Marketing Agency | Advertisement

7:55 am  
Blogger William Stinner said...

Thanks for sharing. Keep me more update in future. Please Visit:

accounting in London
payroll services In London

7:39 am  
Anonymous Books said...

Your post is for sure amazing to read, Thanks for sharing.

11:11 am  
Anonymous ryan said...

this post is very amazing for reading. SG Accountants Ilford
Accountants near me,Chartered Accountants ,Chartered Tax Advisers ,Tax Accountants ,Tax Advisors ,Accountant Tax Return,Accountants London

1:31 pm  
Anonymous Roy Wang said...

Your article is very useful and have good knowledge, thanks for the post.

10:26 am  
Blogger Jane wembli said...

Hi everyone,I’m so excited my husband is back after he left me for another woman. My husband was having an affair with a co-worker and i love my husband so much but he was cheating on me with his co-worker and this girl i think she use witchcraft or black magic on my husband to make him hate me and this was so critical and uncalled-for, I cry all day and night for God to send me a helper to bring back my husband! I was really upset and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr.Wealthy can help get ex-boyfriend back fast. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it, then he did a love spell for me. 22hours later, my husband really called me and told me that he miss me so much, Oh My God! i was so happy, and today i am happy with my man again and we are joyfully living together and i thank the powerful spell caster Dr.Wealthy, he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the here. if you are here and your Lover is turning you down, or your husband moved to another woman, do not cry anymore, contact Dr.Wealthy for help now..Here’s his email, wealthylovespell@gmail.com
He also do the following spell
Pregnancy spell
Love spell
Penis enlargement spell
herpes/hiv
Winning spell
His email, wealthylovespell@gmail.com
Or his WhatsApp +2348105150446

9:55 am  
Blogger Ahsan12 said...

Thanks for sharing. Keep it up.
seo services in lahore

12:36 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home