Thursday, February 16, 2012

Failure at Fearnville

It was to be a busy day, but hopefully an enjoyable one.

Up at seven to be in the swimming pool at eight, back in our office before ten, then off to Huddersfield for the afternoon to be a Simulated Patient in a workshop about Postnatal Depression.

The workshop, I'm pleased to say, seemed to go really well - the students were delightful and seemed to find it really useful, and said so loudly and often, which was great.

The swimming went less well.

"Pool's closed today - you'd be swimming with penguins in there, it's far too cold. I made a mistake last night with it, so it's not open this morning."

When I was a child I went swimming a lot. Every week on a Thursday evening to Leeds Ladies at the old Olympic Pool and sometimes other times during the week as well.

Never, ever, did I turn up to be told the pool was closed because they'd messed up.

And yet, at Fearnville Leisure Centre, it seems to be happening on a regular basis - the last time was only last week. I wrote to complain in December because it had happened twice in November/December - perhaps more times than that, but it happened twice to me. They did write back - - but don't seem to have done anything about it.

Pool Man's weak joke about penguins did nothing to amuse me. I'd be happy to swim in water as cold as it was, as a matter of fact. I just wanted to swim.

At the moment I don't have much leisure time, so when I get up early and make the effort to get there for when swimming starts, then it's a really REALLY big deal if the pool is closed.

"It'll be open again by lunchtime" he said helpfully.

"Yes, well by lunchtime I'll be working in Huddersfield," I said. "Any chance of a refund on my Bodyline card?"

"Oh no," he said, "because you can go to any pool."

"Well I haven't gone to any pool, have I?" I said. "I've gone to this one. And it's broken. So now I haven't got time to go to another one before I start work."

I wrote to complain. Again. If it happens one more time, I will ring the Yorkshire Evening Post, and Leeds City Council, and the European Court of Human Rights.

I can't think what's causing all this other than laziness, or incompetence, or both. Perhaps it might be a good idea to get rid of some of the staff and employ others who might take the whole thing more seriously.

If anyone from Fearnville Leisure Centre reads this, I've had a good idea. How about if you text me every morning at about 7am just to let me know if you've managed to get your act together to open the pool?

5 Comments:

Blogger mutikonka said...

I used to go to Fearnville a lot. Sounds like it is really beginning to slide in standards.

10:21 am  
Blogger mutikonka said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:26 am  
Blogger Silverback said...

Leeds City Council eh ? Sighhhhh. They just don't know how to treat people who don't have a pool at home !

Yes that employee (who has probably got the wonderful title of "Leeds Hydro Dynamics Maintenance Supervisor" was clearly not up to the usual standards set by LCC staff - clearly proven by his admitting he made a mistake !

2:10 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

Why not just abandon the idea of public swimming baths and dive into that big lake in Roundhay Park instead? If you complain to the European Court of Human Rights you'd probably end up on a plane bound for Jordan - and I'm not talking about Peter Andre's ex-missus!

2:54 pm  
Blogger Kemet Club said...

Don't they know that you are a movie celeb?

10:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home