Thursday, April 14, 2011

Heading Up North

It's been such a busy week since I got back from Plymouth!

Finally, after a long and exhausting winter, we have managed to arrange a short break away, for no other purpose than to rest and enjoy ourselves. Stephen and I are off a hundred miles due north, to the fine and relatively undiscovered county of Northumberland tomorrow, and we are staying in what looks to be a great bed and breakfast in the Middle of Nowhere next to Hadrian's Wall, near a village called Greenhead. Although it's in Northumberland, it's very near the Cumbrian border. To me, Cumbria is home territory and Northumberland is here-be-dragons land.

It's very near to the Roman fort at Vindolanda . I have been there before, though it was a long time ago. I think there were a few Roman builders standing around, pleased with their handiwork, and the paint was still wet.

Well - - perhaps not THAT long ago. But probably forty years - it had just opened to the public.

We have been told that the food in the local pub is excellent and that's my kind of food! Our plan is to walk a lot and then - - well - - eat a lot. And then walk some more. We may visit Vindolanda. I hope it doesn't rain. I'll let you know when I get back. I'm not sure the Emperor Hadrian installed wifi near his Wall: we'll see.

I'll leave you with a photo of a Plymouth eating establishment. I didn't actually eat there - - but I liked the name.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoy your break - it was indeed a very long winter.
Lucy

11:50 pm  
Blogger Grumpy Old Ken said...

Try Hadriana's Treasures. Hope you're right and winters gone away!

11:58 am  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

Daphne... Did you track the B&B down via blogging? Hadriana has a B&B in that village. As I write this I hear the weather in northern England is excellent at the moment - you lucky thing!

4:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home