Friday, April 08, 2011

On a Plymouth Wall

Rather unexpectedly, I found myself in Plymouth this week, working there from Tuesday till Thursday. It was all very last-minute and a Top Secret Mission, and I really enjoyed it. Anyway, more of Plymouth tomorrow but meanwhile here's a man sitting on a wall, with his mate watching him.

So. Lovely views across Plymouth Sound and the Hoe from there. ("Hoe" means "High ground near the sea" since you asked).

Actually, I don't think Wall Man and Mate were interested in the views. They were interested in showing off their high testosterone levels and general courageous nonchalance, in the hope that any passing teenage girls would rush towards them in awe and admiration, removing items of clothing with every step.

Here's the rest of the wall.

Yes, one slip and they'd be firstly squished on the rocks below and then bounce into the sea and drown.

I'm quite surprised that Health and Safety haven't fenced off this wall, but it cheers me somewhat as I think that eventually they'll be fencing off everything. I mean - how can a teenager be expected to know that if you fall off this wall you're likely to encounter a slight dose of Death?

So: is it

a) These boys are brave young things and showing an adventurous spirit. Sir Francis Drake - who, if you remember, famously finished his game of bowls on Plymouth Hoe before trotting away to see off the Spanish Armada - would be proud of them. Hurrah!

b) These boys are idiots. And if they fell off some poor person would have to go and collect up the bits and it wouldn't be a fun job. Would you want to do it? - No, me neither.

c) Evolution in Action. This is why most of us wouldn't go and sit where he's sitting. Most of the ones who did have died out before they had a chance to breed. There are only a few left who did manage to reproduce, and these two are their offspring.

Your opinions are welcomed.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me: I'd be behind the railings. But I am mid-fifties and have bred a couple of children so no 'Darwian selection' so far.
Lucy
Verification: dingmen - males of the species about to become extinct.

7:53 pm  
Anonymous ruth said...

I like those options and believe it's (a) but suspect it's (d) These young men think they have nothing going on in their lives so, in boredom, are sitting in an amazing place oblivious of either the danger or the fabulous scenery around them.

8:34 pm  
Blogger Silverback said...

Well you know my answer and where I'd have been....although I'd have climbed up there first !
I love how you thought that drowning would've been the COD if they fell.

11:10 pm  
Blogger Daphne said...

Lucy - I'd be behind the railings too. And I don't mind heights, in fact I love being up high. But I DO mind falling off!
Ruth - It's true they didn't seem to notice the scenery. There were a little gang of them frolicking round like the Montagues in Romeo and Juliet!
Silverback - I know where you'd have been and it's standing next to the seated chap, leaning forward to take a photograph. I am having to type this with my hands over my eyes.

11:25 pm  
Blogger Jennytc said...

Just looking at the photo makes me feel dizzy. ;)

10:18 am  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

As they (you) say in England, "My word!"

3:33 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home