Saturday, July 24, 2010

When I Am King Dilly Dilly

I've just got back from the Cotswolds, and I'll tell you more about that tomorrow. The description I saw in a guide book somewhere, calling the region "impossibly picturesque" is most definitely true.

Silverback and I went to see Helen Kennedy in Waiting for Gateaux in Camberley - - and she was excellent, and so were the rest of the cast. We met two lovely fellow bloggers on the way down too - - more of that later as well!

Then we made our way back via the beautiful Cotswolds. Here's one thing we saw that I particularly loved:

Purple fields.
Around Snowshill, there is a lavender farm.

Not only did it look delightful, but the delicate scent of lavender wafted across the road as we stopped to take photographs. Lovely!

Here's the old rhyme:

Lavender blue, dilly dilly, lavender green, When I am king, dilly dilly, you shall be queen.

I would most definitely call it purple rather than blue - - perhaps, over the centuries, either the lavender has changed, or our concept of the colour "blue". Or perhaps it's just me, and perhaps you all think it's blue. Please let me know if you do!

6 Comments:

Blogger aerate harsh ladle said...

Just looked the nursery rhyme you refer to on Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavender_Blue
It dates from the seventeenth century!

9:42 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmm... this could be 'Hidcote' lavendar which is definitely a purply colour like this.
Lucy

11:14 pm  
Anonymous Jay said...

Oh, I do love lavender! The smell is delicious and it's such a lovely, lovely colour. There wasn't any when we were in the Cotswolds (a looong time ago) but it bet it adds a certain magic to the scenery!

12:19 am  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

That colour reminds me of little sweeties I used to suck and crunch - Parma Violets I think they were called.

12:20 am  
Anonymous Shooting Parrots said...

To be honest, I would call it 'lavender' or maybe violet as YP suggests.

Btw, parma violets are still made by Swizzels in New Mills, not far from where I live.

11:07 am  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

I never understood why lavender was blue (dilly, dilly) or how lavender could be green. Beautiful photos! Somehow I can also smell the lavender sachet my mother kept in the chest of drawers...

3:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home