Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Early Starts

I don't like early starts unless it's a glorious sunny morning in May or June, not a cloud in the sky, birdsong in the air, and I'm going on holiday. That kind of early start is fine.

Of course, since I started swimming in the early mornings I have had lots of early starts and I have to say that I don't like those either, especially the moment when I get out of bed. But it's worth it in the end.

But on Thursday morning I have to be on the 6.25am train from Leeds to Manchester and that's just ridiculous.

Entirely my own fault, of course - I accepted the job, which is as a roleplayer for medical students, and I knew straight away what time I'd need to be in Manchester and it is eight o'clock in the morning which is a time of ridiculous earliness, especially on a cold, dark winter's morning.

But I know what I'm like - - and I like to set myself these challenges. Can I get up, get there on time, do the work as well as I possibly can, come home again?

I still think I'm a twenty-five-year-old having an adventure. When I've done the job, I hope I'll feel a sense of achievement, and that this will keep the exhaustion at bay for a while.

5 Comments:

Anonymous ruth said...

I recently did two days of simulated patient work for GP trainees in Croydon. It wasn't a particularly early start on either day but the job was a challenge and I was amazed by how I didn't feel absolutely exhausted by the time I had driven home at end of the second day.

The sense of achievement brings satisfaction which will greatly offset your early start and hard work. Sleep well before and I am sure you will after secure in the glow of a job well done.

9:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep thinking like a 25-year-old, Daphne... it's what keeps us ahead of encroaching middle/old age.
Lucy

9:51 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

If they ask you to roleplay the part of a raving lunatic it should come naturally enough.

10:16 pm  
Blogger Daphne said...

Ruth - yes, if it goes well it always brings great satisfaction!
Lucy - yes, you're right of course - I just must be careful not to push it too hard!
YP - I have indeed played a raving lunatic (someone with the condition called mania) for Mental Health training on more than one occasion. It did come quite naturally. What point are you making, by the way?!

9:46 am  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

The dreadfully early start - a sure sign of madness. Wasn't Peter Sutcliffe a lorry driver?

9:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home