Friday, November 13, 2009

That Christmassy Feeling

The time I used to enjoy the most was just before the Christmas holidays. Those few days when you knew that the end of term was fast approaching.

On Blue Peter, which I generally tended to watch after school, they'd always made an Advent Crown out of wire coathangers wrapped in tinsel and, as Christmas approached, Val, John and Peter would light the candles on it. When it was the last programme before Christmas they would light the fourth candle and THEN I knew it was nearly time.

And I would have that warm, Christmassy feeling. Since I grew up, I haven't had that quite so much and last year, since the Communist had died in early December, I didn't have it at all - - I was just going through the motions really.

When I was at Park Hotel in Tenby a couple of weeks ago, they were putting up the Christmas decorations. Usually I hate it when decorations go up too early but their Christmas does start early and nowhere is better suited to Christmas decorations than Park Hotel - - their decor is all warm and - well - what might be described as "camp as Christmas" anyway and the decorations just looked wonderfully welcoming.

Here's a little Christmassy corner (there are lots of these)

and here's the way down to the dining-room:

and here's the Christmas tree in Reception:

It did look lovely and I began to feel remarkably Christmassy.

Of course, then my mother fell and broke her shoulder and everything got rather difficult. Just a brief update on that - following another X-ray yesterday, they are going to operate on it on Thursday which they hope will speed up her recovery: so she'll have a couple of days in hospital and I hope it won't be too much of a shock to her.

I haven't had that Christmassy feeling since then - - until today, trailing through Leeds in the rain and the dark and the rush-hour traffic - - I just looked at the lights inside a bus and for some reason I thought - - well, it's nearly Christmas - - and for a few seconds I felt that warm glow.

It will be a strange Christmas this year too, but I'll see what I can do to get that feeling back.

6 Comments:

Blogger Silverback said...

That warm glow wasn't Christmas cheer. I'm an expert now and can tell you it was a menopausal hot flush...or flash as they say here.

Poor old dear.

Speaking of which, I hope it all goes well for Joan on Thursday - as my garden isn't going to weed itself y'know !

7:27 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wishing Joan a successful op and a speedy recovery. Is there any chance she'll still be able to celebrate Christmas at Tenby, as planned?

9:52 pm  
Blogger Jennytc said...

Best wishes to your mum, Daphne. Hope all goes well with the op.

10:19 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

I love the sense of a midwinter festival that is a marking point in people's lives. The veneer of Christianity is something I merely tolerate... Hope your mum will be able to fully participate in Yuletide 09. Personally, I think they should bring in a law -no reference to or advertising of Xmas till December 1st.

10:30 pm  
Anonymous Milo said...

Hope your mum has a swift recovery from the minor op.

I don't feel particularly Christmassy yet I see all the London lights most days. I just struggle to get into it.

I really think Christmas is for children and for many adults, it's just a pain in the neck.

As a child I loved it. We had huge family Christmases at my relatives (up to 20 people on Christmas day, at least 10 staying over for the days before/after). Really good happy memories of it.

These days I don't mind it - lots of homecooked food, drink, tv, chance to unwind, etc. But the huge brouhaha involved with cards, presents, etc, I find to be very hard work.

8:36 am  
Blogger Von said...

Hope the op goes well.Hotel looks delightful.A complete change at Christmas might do the trick!Hard one the first.Hope it goes ok.

4:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home