Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Last Palm Tree and the Sunflowers

My love of palm trees is well-known to my family, friends and readers of this blog. Those cheery explosions of leaves at the top always gladden my heart.

Here's just about the last palm tree that we saw in Italy, outside our motel near Rome:

A palm tree against a blue sky - - lovely!

Another plant that's always cheery is the sunflower, of course. I remember seeing them in France, in previous years - - fields and fields of them, turning their large faces round towards the sun as the day goes on. Tournesol, in French - - Girasole in Italian - - both meaning "turn-sun".

We saw sunflowers in Italy too. Brace yourselves:

Fields and fields of them, all dead, because it was early September. Of course, the seeds were ripening ready to be made into sunflower oil and margarine and suchlike, and I'm sure the farmers were very happy to see them like that - - but I wasn't, because I am a sentimental fool, and to me, a field of dead sunflowers just looks SAD.


4 Comments:

Blogger Debby said...

Ian said the same thing. I told him I always saw new life when I see dead sunflowers. Dropping their seeds to make new flowers in the spring.

1:35 pm  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

The photo depicts the way I would feel, I'm sure, after traipsing all over Italy for two weeks. Kudos to you little band of survivors!

2:08 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just catching up with your posts. Happy belated birthday to the communist and best wishes to you because memories are always poignant on an anniversary. Congratulations to Olli for a) his a'level results ;-) and b) for having such a fantastic mum.

3:06 pm  
Blogger Silverback said...

It's was like Day Of The Triffids meets War Of The Worlds.

A bizarre and as you said, slightly sad, sight seeing field after field of 'dead' sunflowers. A first for me.

4:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home