Saturday, September 19, 2009

Falling

It was a lovely sunny morning today in Roundhay Park, Leeds:

The willow-herb of late summer still had some flowers:

The lake round the far side was shallow and clear:

And there they are, floating on the top - - beech leaves. Because autumn's coming.

I'm not happy about it. I've just got some summer clothes. I've just got used to it being warm. I'm not ready for woolly jumpers, central heating, frosty mornings, chestnuts-roasting-on-an-open-fire or anything else to do with winter.

Bring back summer, say I. Not that there was much of a summer, not here in Britain, anyway. And I'm just not ready for autumn, okay?

8 Comments:

Anonymous ruth said...

Well, if you're not ready for it then, apart from the leaves changing to beautiful autumn hues, we shall just have to continue having lovely days like today. When you're in charge, please make it happen.

6:33 pm  
Blogger Jennytc said...

I heartily agree, Daphne. I drove back from Sheffield today - Snake Pass, Beautiful day, almost like the summer we didn't have. North Wales - thick cloud, grey skies and spots of rain. It's just not fair!!

9:10 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

Any political party that could guarantee long warm summers from May through to the end of October would certainly get my vote.

12:26 am  
Blogger Debby said...

Oh I'm so with you there Daphne! We've been waking up to 32 degree mornings and frost. NOT my idea of September for sure!

Think I'll go to Florida!

12:46 am  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

Or you could move to the British West Indies, which is also rife with palm trees -- your favorite, as I recall -- but then you'd be risking the occasional hurricane.

Nowhere is perfect....

1:59 pm  
Blogger WendyCarole said...

some of our leaves are turning too and have been for a couple of weeks. I love Autumn but its all a bit too early.

5:28 pm  
Anonymous Mike Deakin said...

One of these days you and I should walk Roundhay together with our cameras...what a hoot!

10:17 pm  
Blogger Daphne said...

Thank you, everyone - - and Mike, if you're ever in North Leeds with a camera, let me know! Or even if you just fancy calling in for a cuppa.

9:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home