Monday, July 20, 2009

Forty Years Ago Today

It was forty years ago today that it was a small step for Man, or for a man, depending upon your interpretation of Mr Armstrong's words, and a giant leap for Mankind.

Silverback's post today gives - - er - - a more complete - and certainly more enjoyable - transcript of the exact words that were said as Neil climbed down onto the Moon. Very pleasing to know that Mission Control had been watching Thunderbirds.

I didn't see it live. I was asleep. I was thirteen, and I had a geography test the next day, and I was at the kind of school where you didn't risk getting a low mark in a geography test for a tiny thing like Man walking on the Moon.

I've always regretted it. I wish I'd seen it live. I saw it the next day, of course - - but it's never been quite the same. I wasn't very good at putting my foot down when I was thirteen.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jennytc said...

I watched it in France, suffering from sunstroke. In fact, I fainted half way through it.

9:10 am  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

At the time I believe the Biafran war was in full swing. I think it was in "The Daily Mail" that a cartoon appeared with two frightened and starving Nigerian children on a beach, looking up at the moon. One of them said something like this - "If they find it's made of cheese, do you think they'll bring some back for us to eat?" I have always remembered that. It struck a chord for me.

2:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home