Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Burning a Bit Dim, Really

Go on then, who knows a poem about a tiger?

Yes, yes, anyone who knows a poem about a tiger - - or even a tyger - - knows this one:

Tyger Tyger, burning bright
In the forests of the night:
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

Poem about a tiger? Of course! This one by William Blake. Poem about daffodils? Of course! That one by William Wordsworth.

But I digress. Back to this tiger, which I saw in Leeds City Centre today. It's a Bengal Tiger, very big and fierce:

Luckily, he's in a glass case, so not too dangerous.

I've known this tiger all my life. He was always my favourite exhibit in the old Leeds Museum when I was a child. I visited him often.

I haven't seen him for a few years, because the old museum closed. Now a sparkling new museum has opened, and, quite rightly, old Tyger has pryde of place.

I was always very thrilled by him. He's so BIG! He's so FIERCE! But now, looking at him anew, having seen a few documentaries about tygers, sorry, tigers, I found myself thinking - - and he's really rather a funny shape, frankly.

A slightly wry notice below him explains why. He was shot in 1860, but his slightly odd body shape is due to the fact that before being made into Stuffed-and-Scary he - - er - - spent some years as a rug.

If you're in Leeds, do pop along to the museum - - it's free, it's interesting, more about it in another post - and have a look at Tyger. But don't let on to him that you know about the rug part of the story. I'm sure he's really embarrassed about it.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that's reminded me that my grandparents used to have a tiger rug in their front room - a room very rarely used - but it wasn't a Bengal tiger and the rug was never (as far as I know) turned into a stuffed tiger. I might just go and visit the Bengal Tiger in the Leeds Museum - I promise I won't let on to him about his ignominious past (hopefully he can't read the notice so is in blissful ignorance - okay he's dead, I know!).

11:10 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

Talking about Tigers, we won tonight against London's Fulham. Yes, we stuffed em even though we are not taxidermists!

12:12 am  
Blogger Debby said...

He's a man...they're all embarassed about their rugs.

1:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home