Thursday, February 19, 2009

China in Your Hand

I heard this the other day and I hadn't heard it for years.



It was a hit for T'Pau in 1987. No, I don't know what the words mean, since you ask, but I like it anyway. I often like songs for their "feel", their atmosphere, and not their literal meaning (who said "too deaf to hear the words, eh?")! Anyway, that's the case with this one.

If I didn't cut my hair short and keep it tamed, it would end up rather like Carol Decker's in this video. Perhaps that's where I went wrong.

In other news, as they say, I'm going to London tomorrow for the weekend, doing some roleplay about nutrition. I think it should be interesting. I hope to be able to blog from there - I'm taking my little laptop. I hope they've got the internet down there.

5 Comments:

Blogger Silverback said...

You'll need your English - Cockaknee dictionary, Daphne.

Watch out for those wide boys (no not the obese ones) who try to fleece innocents from the North. Remmember, you've been to Paris, Barcelona, Miami and Normanton recently so you be soffisticated now.

And you hang on to that handbag like it's part of your body - which as we know, it is.

Have a wonderful time.

1:38 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That song elicits particularly strong memories in me for some reason.

Parents had just split, we had just moved from one part of the country to another, I was starting or just about to start a new school where I would board for the next 5 years. We were living in police / public services accommodation (my mother was a key-worker) - though we weren't there for long.

A strange, unsettling time in life.

Whenever I hear it I'm instantly transported to being 11 years old and have sharp reminders of that time of life.

9:50 am  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

Somehow I doubt that they have the internet down in London. According to reliable sources, they have only just progressed from horse drawn hansom cabs and in some places they still have open sewers running through the centre of the street. Take care in The Smoke. There's lots of pickpockets and vagabonds down there plus swarms of Tories.

2:36 pm  
Blogger Malcolm Cinnamond said...

Pre-famous Carol Decker used to frequent my local in Shrewsbury, usually on a Sunday morning dressed in skimpy running gear and looking down her nose at the rest of us.

She and whichever band she was with at the time were booed off stage at Tiffany's in Shrewsbury, supporting, of all people, Bad Manners.

5:08 pm  
Blogger Silverback said...

Ok Malc, on so many levels, that last bit is irony with a capital I.

I guess that'd be Irony then !!

5:24 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home