Tuesday, January 01, 2008

New Year's Resolutions

Here are my nieces Daisy and Flo watching some rather loud fireworks last night.

And so to my New Year's Resolutions.

The first thing is that I'm going to be honest on this blog. It's not that I've been dishonest in the past and it's not that I'm going to tell you everything: it's just that I'm making a point of it. If I tell you I believe something, that will be my true belief.

Like everyone else at this time of year, I'd like to lose some weight - though, mindful of The Wedding coming up in February, I've been rather careful over Christmas and have in fact lost a couple of pounds, which I think deserves some sort of medal in itself. I don't eat lots of stuff that's bad for me - I'm diabetic so don't eat a lot of sweet things, even though I'd sometimes like to. I hardly drink alcohol, either. I'm not a wholepacketofbiscuits binge-eater. So it's clear that I must just eat too much of everything, so I'm going to stop that (she said, in a triumph of hope over experience).

During the first half of last year I was having loads of exercise, mostly walking and swimming and some yoga, but it all went a bit to pot when the Communist got ill and any free time started going on hospital visits. So, having started with a three-mile walk yesterday, I'm determined to build it all up again. I'm partly descended from Eastern European peasant stock and I think I was just made to do lots of physical work - and don't tend to, these days.

I haven't travelled nearly enough, for various reasons, and I hope to remedy that a bit this year too. I've never left Britain in the winter to travel to somewhere hot and the idea seems really decadent - but I plan to try it. I plan more local travel, too - a day in the Yorkshire Dales or the Lake District is bliss to me and I am going to have more of them.

I love both the jobs I do - working for the actors' agency, and helping to teach Communication Skills to health care professionals. But I tend to work too hard. If I'm not working at my jobs or doing housework, I feel guilty, which is ridiculous. I watch short television programmes generally, but don't tend to sit down long enough to watch a film - and yet I love films. Mad. So I'm going to watch some films.

I'm going to continue to write this blog, of course. I've really enjoyed writing it since I started it nearly two years ago. Making friends through it has been completely unexpected, and a total delight.

A very Happy New Year to all who read this. Please keep reading.

3 Comments:

Blogger Silverback said...

Hurrah and jolly hockey sticks for all those resolutions.

I highly recommend the winter travel, obviously and in the summer too.

Also glad to read you're not a biscuit binge eater - means more for me.

Best of all, watch more movies. I'm making my list and you'll have the shelves empty at Blockbuster by the time I've finished with you.

Happy New Year to you all, everyone one of you. Tiny Tim too.

5:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year. I strongly advise that your film watching happens in a cinema - fewer distractions and less chance you will get sidetracked into ironing, answering the phone or even working on this, your wonderful blog. See you soon

8:28 pm  
Blogger Daphne said...

Ian - - thank you. I look forward to The List. I'm getting the biscuits in.
Ruth - - thank you, too: I love seeing films at the cinema, though hardly ever do it. But most of the films that I've missed haven't been shown at a cinema in years - I have a LOT of catching up to do!

8:39 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home