Saturday, July 21, 2007

How Green Was My Bala

Terrible pun I know, sorry. Not sorry enough to delete it though, obviously.

I wrote the below last night but the signal wasn't strong enough in Bala to post it:


Here we are in beautiful Bala, North Wales and I have never seen the countryside so green. Here’s the view from Fron Dderw, which is the hotel where we’re staying tonight before travelling to Tenby tomorrow..

Fron Dderw is a beautiful country house – a bit posher than my normal choice of bed and breakfast, but we’ve been coming here for a number of years, during which time it’s been redecorated and restored. In a good way.

When we first came it was owned by Mr and Mrs Jones and was a bit hit-and-miss: the milk tended to be sour and it was all a bit basic but we chose it for the wonderful views.

Then they sold it to another Mr and Mrs Jones who were kind, Christian folk, very pleasant but a bit twee for my taste: little mottoes everywhere.

Then it was sold again to the present owners, Paul and Veronica, who have done it up wonderfully, revealing a centuries-old stone fireplace and packing it with books and paintings which I love, especially their Gustav Klimt prints.

It’s a friendly place in a beautiful setting with, as I remember, a superb breakfast, which I’m looking forward to enjoying in the morning before going on to Tenby.

The Communist’s in the nursing home, seems much happier and can use his mobile there, so we can ring him. He had had soup and egg and chips for tea and been offered bacon and eggs for breakfast. He had declined, saying he’ll just have cereal, but the important thing was that he was offered it and feels he’s finally escaped from the Ward of Doom back to civilisation. How he’ll manage to sleep without Mad George howling in the bed opposite I don’t know.

Perhaps I’m daring to think, at last, that I might be going on holiday. Fingers crossed.

3 Comments:

Blogger Silverback said...

With a menu like that, can I join The Communist ?

Time for you all to relax, unwind and, assuming the only water in Tenby is at the end of the beach, enjoy your holiday.

Ian

1:11 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad the Communist has been released, sorry discharged, and is back in the nursing home which hopefully this time round, in comparison to the hospital, will prove successful in meeting all his needs.

Have a wonderful week.

7:47 am  
Blogger Jeff said...

It's good to hear he's in a better place. I hope he can rest and improve there. More comradely good wishes from the USA . . . .

5:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home