Monday, May 21, 2007

Yellow

Oh YES! or Oh NO! Most people seem to either love it or think it's a blight on the traditional British countryside. Here's some I saw near Huddersfield a couple of weeks ago in the evening sunlight, and I stopped to take a photo:

A field of oilseed rape flowers. You never used to see them when I was a child and the first time I saw them, I loved them, and I still do.

Some people don't, though, and they get very heated about it. Not a proper British crop. Despoiling the countryside. Just too - - well - - YELLOW.

It's true that, in general, I prefer subtle colours (especially GREENS - - yes, you know, you've heard it all before from me) and there's not a lot of subtlety in oilseed rape flowers.

But whenever I see them, they cheer me - to me, they mean sunshine and Spring. And, judging by these photographs, I'm not the only one who likes them.


2 Comments:

Blogger MrsG said...

I love them!!! Acid-bright against the green....smell a bit funny... must be Spring!

8:22 am  
Blogger Ian Appleby said...

I've always understood that saffron was a common crop in medieval England, hence yellow fields are not such a novelty here as some think.

12:19 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home